HP NC364T quad gigabit server adapter

• Hello everybody,

I am planning to make my own router using pfSense. I want to also connect my PC's via wire to the router.
    I want to buy the HP NC364T quad port gigabit server adapter, but I don't see it in the list of supported hardware.
    Does anyone know if this card will work in combination with pfSense?

Greetings Swannyboy

• It uses the Intel 82571 chip so it should be fine.

• Does anyone of you have experience with this card in combination with pfsense?

• @Swannyboy:

I want to also connect my PC's via wire to the router.

A switch may be all you need if you are trying to emulate what a standard home router like a Netgear or D-link does.

• @biggsy:

@Swannyboy:

A switch may be all you need if you are trying to emulate what a standard home router like a Netgear or D-link does.

@biggsy:

@Swannyboy:

@biggsy:

@Swannyboy:

And the throughput is high enough for streaming media? With a Gigabit switch?

• Netgate Administrator

The throughput of a Gigabit switch, even the cheapest one, will invariably be better than between separate pfSense interfaces, even if they are bridged.
    You can make pfSense work like a switch but a real switch has dedicated hardware and massively less processing overhead. As Biggsy said SOHO routers that have, say, 4 LAN ports are in reality a switch and a router (and a modem and a wifi AP!) in a box.

What are you trying to achieve?

Steve

• @stephenw10:

The throughput of a Gigabit switch, even the cheapest one, will invariably be better than between separate pfSense interfaces, even if they are bridged.
    You can make pfSense work like a switch but a real switch has dedicated hardware and massively less processing overhead. As Biggsy said SOHO routers that have, say, 4 LAN ports are in reality a switch and a router (and a modem and a wifi AP!) in a box.

What are you trying to achieve?

Steve

I want to build a wireless router from an old PC (my idea is an 802.11ac wireless router, but I think it's not supported in pfSense).
    When I have this 'router', I want to stream media from my server to my PC and laptop and also do daily back-ups over the network to my server.

• Unless you need multiple subnets, you'll be better off just using a switch behind your pfSense box.

• @razzfazz:

Unless you need multiple subnets, you'll be better off just using a switch behind your pfSense box.

Thanks for the tip, I decided to use a single gigabit network card in combination with a HP 1410 8-port switch.

Everyone thanks for the help!

• The HP 364T works fine I have the same set up and card payed a little bit extra over the 2port NC360 card, since pfsense does not support my realtek lan and realtek lans are pretty terrible anyhow I opted for the 364T.

I am using 2 ports from the NC364T, but yeah it is a tad overkill you only need a dual card at best and a cheap switch.

Only nice thing about a 4 port nic is if one got fancy with it you could use different ports to do different task….