DHCP dosnt seem to work on lan cards

• Hi ,

I have recently installed PFsense on a watch guard x750e  and I am trying to get the interfaces working to hook up my other stuff like tv and av unit to it. The issue I am having is when I assign a nic card and activated and then hook up a cable to it, the device on the other end dosnt get an IP address. I have the IPV4 set to DHCP in pfsense, and also assigned a rule in the firewall section for the nic. No matter what I do though pfsense does not hand out an IP address to lets say my TV. Is their a step  I am missing here? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

P.S my router that is connected as a AP to the LAN nic works just fine. Everything that connects to the wireless AP is assigned an IP address with no issue.

• What did you do after assigning the devices on the WatchGuard?
    Are you
    a) having each NIC as a separate LAN, with a separate IP address/subnet?
    or
    b) bridging all the NICs to make a single LAN?

In case (a) then you will have to enable DHCP Server and give a pool of addresses for each interface.
    Even without firewall rule/s on the interface, when you enable DHCP Server on an interface, pfSense adds the necessary rules to allow clients to make DHCP requests to ports 67/68.

• Phil,

I am on the A scenario. Ill just write a little step by step description.

1. I assign an interface to a nic
    2. I go to the setup page of the the NIC and enabled.
    3.I give it a static IP such as 192.168.1.3 on the IPV4 Config
    4. I save then apply changes
    5. I go the dhcp server and enabled on the newly assigned NIC
    6. I input a range of IP addresses usually around 10
    7. I go to my laptop and try to connect, it apparently gets assigned an IP address but I cannot reach pfsense when I type in its IP address nor can I reach internet.

I have also put in a rule in the firewall for basically any connection and I still dont seem to be able to reach the internet or the firebox through my laptop on any of the newly assigned NICs.

I would appreciated some input or other methods making the new connections work

Thanks

• You did not mention adding a firewall rule on OPTn to pass any traffic:
    Step 6a. Firewall->Rules, OPTn tab. Add a rule to pass protocol any source OPTn net destination any

And hopefully you are giving each NIC/interface an IP in a separate subnet, e.g.:
    192.168.2.1/24
    192.168.3.1/24
    192.168.4.1/24
    192.168.5.1/24

• Thanks for the info Phil, I was adding the rule in the firewall, unfortunately with my lack of knowledge on internet protocols I was putting in the same IP but with the last digit being different. DHCP is now giving out IP to every NIC on the X750e, but I still cannot get internet on any of them except for the LAN. I made sure that the other nics have the same settings as LAN and also the same firewall rules, but seems to make no difference. Am I missing something else here?

Thanks

• On each Firewall Rules interface tab (OPT1, OPT2…) you need a rule to allow traffic arriving on that interface. You can make a pass everything rule, do it the same on OPT1, OPT2...:
    Pass protocol all, source any, destination any

Or you can make slightly different rule on each:
    On OPT1 - Pass protocol all, source OPT1net, destination any
    On OPT2 - Pass protocol all, source OPT2net, destination any
    On OPT3 - Pass protocol all, source OPT3net, destination any
    On OPT4 - Pass protocol all, source OPT4net, destination any

Post your rules if you are stuck.

• Hi Phil,

After changing the TCP to any I got the NIC to work. Should have done it earlier but I just went with what was written under the drop down menu. Now I am also having an issue with having different devices like the TV, xbox, and AV unit communicating with my pc and vice versa. I cannot even ping anything from one NIC to the next. I have enabled UPNP and  NAT PMP hoping that I can get everything to communicate with each but no hope their. I have read on some other posts that by default all NICs should be able to communicate with each other, so I was wondering if their is more firewall rules that need to be set.

Thanks Phil

• Ok so I finally got my devices to communicate with each other. I read some posts about bridging network cards together and that did it for me. This is what I did:

1. Created a bridge and bridged all my NICs to LAN
    2. I went through all NICs and disabled the DHCP sever for them except for the LAN NIC
    3. Set firewall rule to pass and source any and destination any

I have not tested all me equipment but I am pretty sure they all work and see each other on the network. I have also kept UPNP and NAT PMP enabled so this may also be needed to have all devices on the network see each.

• @ray167:

Ok so I finally got my devices to communicate with each other. I read some posts about bridging network cards together and that did it for me. This is what I did:

2. I went through all NICs and disabled the DHCP sever for them except for the LAN NIC

I have not tested all me equipment but I am pretty sure they all work and see each other on the network. I have also kept UPNP and NAT PMP enabled so this may also be needed to have all devices on the network see each.

Was going to say putting them on a bridge for the lan would be the idea unless you want something else specific. Glad you got it working. Unless I am extremely foggy today it shouldn't require anything other then just setting those extra nics into the lan bridge to get you going.

• @bryan.paradis:

@ray167:

Ok so I finally got my devices to communicate with each other. I read some posts about bridging network cards together and that did it for me. This is what I did:

Was going to say putting them on a bridge for the lan would be the idea unless you want something else specific. Glad you got it working. Unless I am extremely foggy today it shouldn't require anything other then just setting those extra nics into the lan bridge to get you going.

I did try to just bridge everything and setup rules but that didnt work for me. I read on another thread here that I should disable DHCP server on all NICs except for LAN and that did the trick.