Need ability to support 50mbit throughput with VPN

• I have 9 locations deployed with Alix 2D13's

Each location has a 100/50 Mbit connection.

The main office is where all the VPN tunnels terminate to connect to the fileserver.

I do not seem to be able to push more than 6-7 mbit via ipsec.  When I test with iperf from 2 locations the speed gets cut in half.

Would I see better performance if the corporate location used a Dell Xeon server?  Would adding a card to handle encryption at the primary location help?

Been doing some research on AESNI and it looks like even using a corei5 proc can provide significant improvement.  Anyone test AESNI on pfsense yet?

• So are you currently using an Alix as the head unit as well?  I could certainly see that being a choke point.  Would definitely need something with more horsepower.

• | Hardware | IPSec thoughput |
    | Alix 3DES | 9 Mbps |
    | Alix AES 128 | 18 Mbps |
    | Alix + VPN1411 crypto card | 34 Mbps |
    | Intel Atom 1.8 Ghz AES 128 | 70 Mbps |

To get 100 Mbps IPSEC or above you have to use desktop/server cpu like Intel Core i3 or above.

Regards,
      Corrado

• @kapara:

Been doing some research on AESNI and it looks like even using a corei5 proc can provide significant improvement.  Anyone test AESNI on pfsense yet?

Yes, don't bother.  AES-NI makes no difference at this point, though I wouldn't buy a CPU without it as better support is in the pipeline.