No internet access

• Hi guys,

I just installed my first pfsense server (release 2.1).

It´s a old pc (DFI Lanparty SLI-DR with dual gigabit lan, Opteron dual core e 2 GB RAM).

Here is my problem: I can´t access internet.

Wan interface connected to cable modem with IP addressed from my ISP (DHCP) = OK
    Lan interface connected to my switch (DHCP working well). = OK

Through the web interface, I configured the DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) servers. And also I enabled the option to allow DNS from ISP's.

I tested a few things like: ping test (www.google.com) through the WAN interface successfully, but testing again via the LAN interface does not work.

• Rebel Alliance

Make sure that you haven't defined a GW for the LAN interface (you need only the WAN GW)

• Disconnect the WAN cable from the PFSENSE, to identify which NIC is LAN and WAN,
    also check if you created the FW rules to allow the internet from the LAN

• @ptt:

Make sure that you haven't defined a GW for the LAN interface (you need only the WAN GW)

Ok, Done! But still not working !

• @Jamerson:

Disconnect the WAN cable from the PFSENSE, to identify which NIC is LAN and WAN,
    also check if you created the FW rules to allow the internet from the LAN

I already did that! (identify Lan and Wan interfaces) and all interfaces are working well. I did the ping test (Diagnostics>Ping) and selected:
    Host = www.google.com
    IP Protocol: IPv4
    Source Address=WAN
    Count=3
    This works !!!

But when i try Source Address = LAN, doesn't work! All packages loss.

About the rules, I dont have any in place. Do you know how I create this rule?

thanks!!

• Have you setup a default firewall rule to allow all from LAN to WAN, this caught me out originally.

• like James says it probably a firewall rules,
    can you post a screenshot of your firewall rules ? WAN and LAN ?

• Guys,

Many thanks for the help! Your answers put me in the right way and I found some information on this forum about rules.

The solution was that! I had to create some rules. I don´t know if I´m doing the right thing.

Here was necessary to create about 8 rules. 1 for Http, 1 for https, 1 for DNS, 1 for ftp ….. and so on.

best regards

• You can just create one rule under LAN firewall rules, allow any to WAN to get you up and running.

• @james_h:

You can just create one rule under LAN firewall rules, allow any to WAN to get you up and running.

Could you show me how I create a single rule?

Its like subnet = lan any to wan any!?