Installation on 128mb flash and then adding an hdd for squid

• Hello, I have installed a standard pfsense 1.2rc3 on a 128m ssd disk.
    The disk is full but it works.

Now I plan to add an hard disk only for the squid cache (and eventually an emergency ftp server).

I add the squid package from the system menu but I have got an error because the flash disk now is 101% full.

What can I do? I would like to not install all system on hdd but continue tu use flash.

I have read that embedded version uses less disk space, but I would like to have the console.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Mario Giammarco

• Embedded system also doesn't support packages, so that's probably not what you want.

I doubt there is any official way of supporting 2 disks.  If you're comfortable with FreeBSD it should be pretty easy to achieve, otherwise I'd suggest a fresh install onto the hard disk and put the SSD to one side for now.

Also, keep in mind the minimum requirements that you appear to have overlooked:

Full installation:
    2gb hard drive or larger

I think your 128 MB disk may be a bit on the small side ;)

• @Cry:

Embedded system also doesn't support packages, so that's probably not what you want.

Thanks for this info! I overlooked it.
    @Cry:

I doubt there is any official way of supporting 2 disks.  If you're comfortable with FreeBSD it should be pretty easy to achieve, otherwise I'd suggest a fresh install onto the hard disk and put the SSD to one side for now.

Also, keep in mind the minimum requirements that you appear to have overlooked:

Full installation:
    2gb hard drive or larger

I think your 128 MB disk may be a bit on the small side ;)

Infact I agree I was very lucky to install psfense standard in only 128mb.
    I am a bit new to freebsd but I use unix/linux from more than 10 years now so I suppose I will like to partition hdd by hands and mount filesystems on it ;-)
    So my question are:

1. what can I delete on standard installation to complete the installation of squid?
    2. Are there problem to force squid to use the hdd as cache?
    3. Can I raid (from what I read I suppose the answer is no) two 128mb flash to make a 256mb disk?

Thanks again for precious info!

• The installer allows you to setup mount points and you can add additional hard drives IIRC.  The installer that is shipped on the ISO that is.

• Ok I have pulled out the flash and now I use only hdd. Please tell me a quick thing because I cannot reach irch channel: how can I manually install rsync package? It is not clear to me reading forums.

• pkg_add -r rsync