NTOP wont Start after Upgrade to 5.0.1_1 v2.4

• Hi All,  I'm running Pfsense 2.1.2 (x64) and i just upgraded NTOP to version 5.0.1_1 v2.4 and it will not start after the upgrade.
    I tried re-installing NTOP then reboot Pfsense and it still wont start, I also un-installed NTOP then reboot Pfsense and re-install it again but it still wont start.

The error log below is what I see in the System Logs when I try to Start NTOP:
    php: rc.start_packages: The command '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntop.sh stop' returned exit code '1', the output was 'No matching processes were found'
    _ntop[65855]: THREADMGMT[t34422669760]: ntop RUNSTATE: PREINIT(1)
    ntop[65855]: THREADMGMT[t34422669760]: ntop RUNSTATE: INIT(2)

Anyone else having this problem and can shed some light on the error message?
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    _

• Those system log messages appear to be normal.
    I have them in my log as well and NTOP is running for me.
    I'm on the same version of NTOP, but I'm on pfSense 2.1.3 (32 bit).

• @ESPNSTI:

Those system log messages appear to be normal.
    I have them in my log as well and NTOP is running for me.
    I'm on the same version of NTOP, but I'm on pfSense 2.1.3 (32 bit).

My apologies, I guess because I cannot connect to NTOP as i normally do, I totally assumed the process is not started.

NTOP is actually started but I am unable to connect or get any info on traffic stats as I normally do on port 3000 (http://192.168.1.1:3000/), it just times out all the time. I cant get any info, nothing is happening its just running an that’s it

Thanks for the reply

• I was able to reproduce a similar problem while updating to 5.0.1 v2.5.

The reinstall did not work (or at least so I thought), the service did not start, status->services showed ntop as not running.
    Also the system logs only showed these lines, but not the normal subsequent information for ntop startup:

Jun 13 10:47:16 	ntop[22833]: THREADMGMT[t685773120]: ntop RUNSTATE: INIT(2)
    Jun 13 10:47:16 	ntop[22833]: THREADMGMT[t685773120]: ntop RUNSTATE: PREINIT(1)
    Jun 13 10:47:14 	php: /status_services.php: The command '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ntop.sh stop' returned exit code '1', the output was 'No matching processes were found'

I removed the NTOP package, manually removed the <ntop>..</ntop> section from the config.xml, and then installed again.
    I went to Diagnostics->ntop Settings, set a password and hit change.
    That however resulted in the same symptoms.

Then I realized I didn't select an interface in Diagnostics->ntop Settings.
    After I set that and clicked change, it started up and worked.

I wonder if after I initially reinstalled, I had re-entered the password and re-selected the interface, if it would have worked then.

• @ESPNSTI:

I wonder if after I initially reinstalled, I had re-entered the password and re-selected the interface, if it would have worked then.

It should have started. I've noticed with NTOP; when you reinstall/install, you have to select interfaces and enter the password again. Some reason the settings are not retained.

• @Cino:

@ESPNSTI:

I've noticed with NTOP; when you reinstall/install, you have to select interfaces and enter the password again. Some reason the settings are not retained.

Hey Thank you so much, appreciated!  :D

I was struggling to understand why i could not connect to Ntop (5.0.1 v2.5) after a reinstalled,  it was until i tried your suggestion of setting the password again and adding back the interface for Ntop again everything seems to be working again….............

((MARK THIS  THREAD AS SOLVED!))  8)