Voip.ms and pfSense 2.1.3 Connectivity Issues (with screenshots)



  • I've gone 'round and 'round with voip.ms support via chat, and they're stumped.  Every time we think we get landline calls working on my obi202, the next day or two, the same landline call attempts have issues.  Calling from my Verizon phone to this same number works flawlessly, as expected.

    Unfortunately, I'm not 100% fluent on the router/firewall aspect of my pfSense box and it maybe being the culprit - hence me reaching out hoping someone can help.  When I asked support at voip.ms, I was told to disable SIP ALG and/or SPI Firewall.  Nothing port related, advance outbound nat settings, or anything specific for that matter.  My limited knowledge in this arena gives me pause for cause on their suggestions.

    Landline calls are sketchy, at best.  Calls to mobile phones work fine.  When I say sketchy, I mean sometimes the rings are beeps, sometimes the call will ring for a 45 seconds, or more, and terminate with "the number you have dialed xxxxxxx has not received a response from the service provider", sometimes it will only work without the +1 prefix, etc… The only deviation worth noting, is that we've changed the sip port I'm using to UDP 5080, instead of the default UDP 5060

    At any rate, I'll do my best to provide screenshots of what I'm seeing on the pfSense box.

    Traceroute output

    AON Settings

    System Firewall Logs

    Siproxd (note: do I even need this? has been disabled after a shot in the dark attempt)

    Snort Suppresion List entries (note: I am not getting any more Snort alerts after restarting Snort interface)



  • I use voip.ms (newyork.voip.ms) with 2 Obi's and have no problems.

    • I do not use siproxd

    • Outbound NAT is set to 'Automatic'

    • Under System: Advanced: Firewall and NAT
        Firewall Optimization Options is set to 'conservative'.  <<–- Had problems until I changed that.

    • I also use Snort and just suppressed any SIP rule that was triggered.



  • @priller:

    I use voip.ms (newyork.voip.ms) with 2 Obi's and have no problems.

    • I do not use siproxd

    • Outbound NAT is set to 'Automatic'

    • Under System: Advanced: Firewall and NAT
        Firewall Optimization Options is set to 'conservative'.  <<–- Had problems until I changed that.

    • I also use Snort and just suppressed any SIP rule that was triggered.

    Cool - I could just be way over thinking things. I've had mine set to conservative for awhile.  Maybe I will just go back to a clean slate and try it again for a few days.


Log in to reply