NUT (or APCUPSD): Connect QNAP NAS as slave

• Dear All,

I operate two parallel pfSense machines on two separate power supplies. Each is secured by an APC UPS. However, additional devices are also connected to the APC UPS. In particular, I would like to connect a pfSense machine with a QNAP NAS in such a way that the APC USB cable is connected to one of the devices (would perfer the pfSense, but I am open to do it the other way round, if required) but both will power down upon a power failure during the timespan the UPS can bridge.

Having read Jim Pringle's last post on NUT (topic=53308), I have tried various firewall rules along with other settings which seemed to make sense to me. However, I did not get a setup to work. I sense that various persons do not get such situation solved also (e.g., topic=72721, in German topic=68746).

Could someone please be so kind as to post a list of settings that are likely to work - and explicitly point out which device is master and which is slave in the example settings?

Thank you very much!

Michael Schefczyk

• Dear All,

the following solution does seem to work:

• install NUT package at pfsense
    • create NAT rule:

Firewall: NAT: Port Forward
    If:  LAN
    Proto:  TCP
    Src. addr:  *
    Scr. ports:  *
    Dest. addr:  (IP of pfSense)
    Dest. ports:  3493
    NAT IP:  127.0.0.1
    NAT Ports:  3493

• in NUT package add remote access user "admin" with password "123456" (values fixed by QNAP)
    • in NUT package under local UPS settings name UPS "qnapups" (branding thanks to value fixed by QNAP) and pick settings so that pfSense recognizes your locally conneted UPS
    • in QNAP device set "Network-UPS-Slave" and enter IP of pfSense - UPS will show up.

Michael Schefczyk