Pfsense 2.2 + APU1C + Wireless-N AR9380



  • Hello,

    I'd like to try and provide some debugging for the issue I'm having but I'm having trouble finding proper error messaging.

    My hardware is as follows

    Board: ALIX APU1C
    RAM: 2G
    CPU: AMD G-T40E 2Ghz dual core
    Wireless-N: AR9380 WLE300NX from netgate

    The issue I'm trying to track down is the wireless halting for a few minutes and then just starting back up like nothing happened. The logs are just showing normal associations over and over and over.

    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 IEEE 802.11: associated
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 WPA: event 1 notification
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 WPA: event 4 notification
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 WPA: sending 1/4 msg of 4-Way Handshake
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 WPA: received EAPOL-Key frame (2/4 Pairwise)
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 WPA: sending 3/4 msg of 4-Way Handshake
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 WPA: received EAPOL-Key frame (4/4 Pairwise)
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 IEEE 802.1X: authorizing port
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 RADIUS: starting accounting session 5385A8F1-000001B2
    Jun  2 17:35:54 pfSense hostapd: ath0_wlan0: STA dc:85:de:70:bc:f4 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

    There are tons of those about 4 seconds apart. At first I thought it was due to key rotation so I've set those very high.

    Key Rotation: 3600
    Master key rotation: 7200

    It still occurs.

    As far as I can find there's no other errors in any logs. Any help pointing me in the right direction for finding the error would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Dave


  • Netgate Administrator

    What is the device that's connecting to it? Is it running some power saving mode? Same results with various wifi devices?

    Steve



  • I have the exact same setup and key settings with the same problems.
    I can't contribute much but maybe it helps:

    • It worked sometime before the 23.5.2014 (I don't know the exact date anymore, sorry)
    • I also have stuck beacon log messages but changing the channel didn't help (and my old ALIX with 2.0.3 doesn't have the problem)
    • The logs also show a lot of calls to Stub functions: kernel: ar9300_Stub_SetCTSTimeout: called, kernel: ar9300_Stub_GetAntennaSwitch: called
    • It sometimes works for 2-5 Minutes and once even for about 30 Minutes and then just stops working
    • I connected with an iPad, MacBook Pro, iPhone & Nexus 5

    //Edit: Sorry, I have the WLE350NX

    //Edit2: In todays snapshot (with working GUI) it seems to work better. For at least 30min. my Nexus 5 and MacBook Pro could access the web BUT my iPad and an iPhone connected but didn't have access to the web and couldn't get it no matter what I tried.



  • It does seem like it was just the current snapshot at the time. I'm running the latest snapshot and it seems to be acting normal again. Should it start acting up again I'll report back.


Log in to reply