2.1 -> 2.1.4 Fresh Install - Packages didn't auto install

• Hi All,

OK, not a biggy, just trying to learn  ::)

I've just upgraded 3 firewalls from 2.1 to 2.1.4 and due to various reasons, I've just wiped them and installed clean (these are i386 based "normal PC" style devices)

I re-installed with the latest configuration file on a USB stick as per https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Automatically_Restore_During_Install, which all worked fine, however, I was expecting the packages to re-install themselves… but they didn't.

Is this per design, or have I stumbled in to an issue here?

For completeness, my resolution was just to restore the same backup file via the WebGUI backup/restore page... and then after a reboot they re-installed automatically.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Experienced the same with an embedded device (install 2.1.4 from the scratch and config.xml via GUI), dunno if its a bug or a feature…

• Netgate Administrator

I have seen that reported, and in person, on some low memory boxes where the box runs out of space on /var during the upgrade process. How much ram do you have? Are you running 'full install' on those boxes?

Steve

• @stephenw10:

I have seen that reported, and in person, on some low memory boxes where the box runs out of space on /var during the upgrade process. How much ram do you have?

Hmm, ok - what do you class as "low" memory?  ;)
    These have 2~3 GB RAM in them - and vary between 120 and 220GB storage.

Did you mean that /var is kept in RAM during the upgrade? I'm still getting my head around some of the core functionality.

@stephenw10:

Are you running 'full install' on those boxes?

Yep, these are a completly clean install - formatting the drive, etc.

One thing I've not tried is comparing the LiveCD to the Memstick version - but as I've upgraded all (4) of them now ready for everyone to use on Monday morning, then I won't be able to check.

If I get a chance, I might run up a VM just to try - but that won't happen for the next few days.

• Netgate Administrator

@TMonster:

These have 2~3 GB RAM in them

That's not low, I mean <512MB. The Alix boxes which have 256MB can struggle at upgrade depending on number of interfaces, packages installed etc.
    In the NanoBSD install type /var /tmp are run as ramdrives and /var in particular can get full causing problems. /var is set as 60MB by default whatever actual ram size you have. I had to increase my home box to 80MB at the last upgrade cycle but it does have 10 interfaces so that's a lot of RRD data that has to be uncompressed.

Steve

• My box has 1 GB, /temp and /var set to 60 and 80MB, respectively.