CARP & OpenVPN

• Hi all,

is there a way to configure OpenVPN server with à CARP VIP failover solution ?

I'm using pfsense 1.2RC4

Best regards

JMB

• Up ???  ???

• nobody ???  :'( :'(

• No.  OpenVPN state would not be sync'd to the other CARP members.

• OK, thanks for that

so using the remote-random option on the client side will do the job for the moment

Regards

• hi jmbo,

I m  setting one solution with carp and openvpn .

some intersting thing happen .

im my setup

PFsense A - wan is 199.a.b.52 it's master CARP
    PFsense B - wan is 199.a.b.53
    VIP wan is 199.a.b.2

i am using port 1194 TCP on openVPN

and an road-warrior client calling address 199.a.b.2 connect with success
    calling address 199.a.b.52 connect with success
    calling address 199.a.b.53  no connection
    and client log show this :

Sat Feb 09 12:47:02 2008 us=265000 TCPv4_CLIENT READ [22] from 199.a.b.53:1194: P_ACK_V1 kid=0 [ 30 ]

Sat Feb 09 12:47:02 2008 us=468000 AUTH: Received AUTH_FAILED control message
    Sat Feb 09 12:47:02 2008 us=468000 TCP/UDP: Closing socket
    Sat Feb 09 12:47:02 2008 us=468000 SIGTERM[soft,auth-failure] received, process exiting

Any ideia ?

we can test our configs to found an solution ?

• All working…..

i Have two boxes configured with CARP ... all is working ....
    the problems with OpenVPN stops when .. i Deleted all related OpenVPN on Master .
    look , may master (first box ) was configured with openVPN when i decided to have an Carp solution (second box)

step by step i did:

• Backup all data on OpenVPN config page (Ca.crt, server.key, server.crt, server.dh) and clean all fields.
    • deleted server config on OpenVPN.. when all was clen in both boxes . reboot.
    • with master box off i did all OpenVPN config on the slave box, then started master box and did config too. The config are exactly same.
      in my Road-warriors clients i did a connection to 1194 TCP on the VIP address of WAN .
      now my clients can connect in master or slave box, when master goes down connection are dropped and in seconds restablished. When master returns again, connections are dropped and reconnected .
      No more errors connecting on the slave when master was off.