Snort as IPS on WAN behind (VDSL-)Router

• Hi there,

just wondering whether you can actually use Snort in IPS-Mode (block offenders) if your WAN-Interface got a static private IP behind a providers router on the wall? Could it actually detect external IPs or would it only try to nlock the router? ;)

thank you very much =)

• @badger:

Hi there,

just wondering whether you can actually use Snort in IPS-Mode (block offenders) if your WAN-Interface got a static private IP behind a providers router on the wall? Could it actually detect external IPs or would it only try to nlock the router? ;)

thank you very much =)

Is this a home-user setup?  If so, are you saying the provider's VDSL modem handles the NAT and all your pfSense box gets is a private non-routable IP?

In this setup, I would suggest you run Snort on the LAN side.  It will put the WAN IP and the far-end default gateway IP (which should be the LAN side of your VDSL modem) into the default Pass List and not block them.

Bill

• …and if I want to block (external) offenders? - i do not have any chance to in this setup?

thank you. :D

@badger:

…and if I want to block (external) offenders? - i do not have any chance to in this setup?

thank you. :D

Putting your Modem in "Bridge Mode" will help get Snort/Suricata to work as intended. It will also make NAT work if you require that (avoids Double-NAT)