NAT: 1:1: Edit > WAN net&WAN address

• Hi, all! I can't get the difference between "WAN net" and "WAN address", "LAN net" and "LAN address" and ext., when defining source/destination fields of NAT rules. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks !

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

"net" is the entire subnet on an interface, e.g. x.x.x.0/24. "address" is only the one specific IP address on that interface, e.g. x.x.x.2

• Don't make the same mistake I did and assume that WAN net = Internet.  As Jim said, WAN net is only the particular subnet that your WAN IP address is part of and not the Internet as a whole.

• i still don't understand the difference :-\ !! would you like to give me more explainations
    i will be thankfull

• LAN address is only the specific ip address you choose for your LAN interface. Example: 192.168.0.1
    LAN net is the whole ip subnetwork in which your LAN address reside. Example: 192.168.0.1;192.168.0.2;192.168.0.3; and up to ;192.168.0.254 (assuming the same LAN address as above and a /24 ip subnet = mask 255.255.255.0)

It's very hard to explain better when you don't tell us with exactly what parts of ip networking you do understand and what you don't.

Do you know what a ip subnet is? Are you familiar with the convention of describing subnets as /16 and /24 and do you understand the difference between them?

If you do, please tell us what ip address and subnet you use on your LAN interface.