Squid seems to choke and stop sending Windows Update (cached) files to clients
pfSense 2.1.5 amd64
squid3 3.1.20 pkg 2.1.1
I have about 80 Microsoft Surface RT tablets to perform a "Windows Update" on so I installed the squid3 package on the pfSense (so far I don't see any possible way to clone an RT so the process to setup a bunch is very tedious and manual labor). I set the following configuration up:
allow users on
hard disk cache size: 8192
Min. obj. size: 64 (kb)
Max. obj. size: 1048576 (kb)
Memory cache size: 1024 (mb)
Max. obj. size in RAM: 32 (kb)
Cache dynamic content: Yes
Refresh patterns: Windows Update
Everything else is factory setting.
What will happen is I'll have maybe four or five Surface RT tablets running a Windows Update and then they all seem to stop downloading from the proxy cache. In the tab "real time" I can see the TCP_HIT status scrolling so I know the cache appears to be working. I'm using 12% of a 68GB HDD and memory usage is 10% of 2GB.
I'm not sure if windows updates is dynamic content.
I've gotten this to work well with ubuntu updates in the past.
Not so sure about windows.
That said, I will post this, which I have never tried and may totally break or fix your system. Flip a coin.
thanks for the assistance. I'll read through the content and apply (test).