Strange problem with link speed



  • Hi,

    Today my ISP bumped my connection speed from 28 Mbits to 40 Mbits, obviously I need to change my shaper config, but then I got into a problem…

    pfSense does not give me my speed correctly, when I change the link speed from 28Mb to 40Mb the speedtest only gives me 29.31 Mbits/s

    If I raise the speed to 50Mb then I get my speed up to 41 Mbits/s but the queues never get full this way, it's like having no traffic shaping...

    Does anybody have or had the same problem before?

    The CPU is not an issue here, it idle at about 95% when doing the speedtest with the settings at 40Mb.

     altq on  em0 hfsc bandwidth 9.8Mb queue {  qACK,  qDefault,  qP2P,  qVoIP,  qOthersHigh,  qOthersLow,  qOthersHighest  } 
     queue qACK on em0 bandwidth 19% hfsc (  ecn  , linkshare 19%  )  
     queue qDefault on em0 bandwidth 9% hfsc (  ecn  , default  , linkshare 9%  )  
     queue qP2P on em0 bandwidth 1% hfsc (  ecn  , linkshare 1%  , upperlimit 5Mb  )  
     queue qVoIP on em0 bandwidth 256Kb hfsc (  ecn  ,  realtime 256Kb )  
     queue qOthersHigh on em0 bandwidth 9% hfsc (  ecn  , linkshare 9%  )  
     queue qOthersLow on em0 bandwidth 5% hfsc (  ecn  , linkshare 5%  )  
     queue qOthersHighest on em0 bandwidth 5% hfsc (  linkshare 5%  )  
    
     altq on  em1 hfsc bandwidth 40Mb queue {  qACK,  qDefault,  qP2P,  qVoIP,  qOthersHigh,  qOthersLow  } 
     queue qACK on em1 bandwidth 19% hfsc (  ecn  , linkshare 19%  )  
     queue qDefault on em1 bandwidth 9% hfsc (  ecn  , default  , linkshare 9%  )  
     queue qP2P on em1 bandwidth 1% hfsc (  ecn  , linkshare 1%  , upperlimit 5Mb  )  
     queue qVoIP on em1 bandwidth 256Kb hfsc (  ecn  ,  realtime 256Kb )  
     queue qOthersHigh on em1 bandwidth 9% hfsc (  ecn  , linkshare 9%  )  
     queue qOthersLow on em1 bandwidth 5% hfsc (  ecn  , linkshare 5%  )   
    


  • I don't see anything glaringly wrong, and since HFSC already has "Stealing" and you have no upperlimit on anything except P2P, nothing stands out. You could try disabling ECN on your queues.



  • No change after disabling ecn…

    Here are some more results that I don't understand...

    When I set LAN speed to 43 Mbps the speedtest show around 38 Mbps of speed...
    When I set LAN speed to 43.5 Mbps the speedtest show my capped speed of 41.8 Mbps...

    When I download a very large file the Queue status show a bandwidth of more than my cap allows... It looks like the Traffic Shaper has a problem calculating the amount of bandwidth being used...

    While looking at the following pictures, note that my maximum speed is around 41 Mbps, my service plan is 40/10. Also note that I have set 43.5 Mbps in my queue to show those values...

    Something is wrong...



  • I have a 50/50 connection and I had to up my queues to 2500 to avoid dropped packets because of micro-bursting. You may want to try something smaller, but give 200 a try and see if it makes a difference in your throughput.


Log in to reply