poller last edited by
First off, routing protocols isn't anything I'm particularly good at, we're using a consultant for that. However, the firewall setup has landed on my table. I've been using PF on OpenBSD in my younger days, but never pfSense and Carp/PFsync and that stuff (I think) I need for this setup.
We have about 6 /24 PI networks and our own AS number, the plan is to announce this ourselfs to our two ISPs. And for this I have four Dell Poweredge 1950, with 4 NICs each.
I was thinking something like this:
Router1 och Router2 will be running FreeBSD and OpenBGPD. The Firewalls will be running pfSense and speak OSPF with the Routers. One of our /24 networks will be divided up and used for the internal routing between the Routers and Firewalls.
Failover like this:
- If any ISP dies, traffic is automatically routed through the other ISP.
- If any Router dies, traffic is automatically routed through the other Router (and the other ISP as well).
- If any firewall dies, CARP is used the switch firewall.
I guess my questions are these:
- For starters, does anyone spot anything wrong with this setup?
- Because we have different subnets, the Firewalls will need their internal NICs devided into different VLAN interfaces. Is this going to be a problem for the CARP setup?
- Will pfSense run any OSPF deamon (say OpenOSPFD for instance)?
- In this setup each Firewall has 2 WAN interfaces, but the OSPF deamon will decide which interface will be used (right?). Does this pose any problem for rules setup? Can i specify one rule in pfSense to cover both WAN interfaces, or do i need duplicate rules?
I appreciate any help, thank you!