Unable to delete limiter



  • I am unable to delete any limiter under Firewall–>Traffic Shapper-->Limiter. I click the delete this queue button and nothing happens



  • I have tried everything I can think of to get rid of these, and still they remain :( Can anyone help me delete these, or do I need to rebuild my firewall from scratch?



  • Anything in your System log (Status - System Logs - System)?  I don;t know if this will work as pfSense abstracts a lot of data into its own config files, but you could try shelling in using pfctl commands to try and manually delete that limiter.  This may not work since I think I remember reading that pfSense includes limiters through their addition of dummynet pipes, and this may not be something that you can control via pfctl.



  • There is nothing in the system log that relates to a limiter or errors after trying to delete them. Unfortunately they do not show up when using the pfctl commands, but I am able to see them using the "ipfw pipe show" command. Below is an example

    [2.1.5-RELEASE][root@]/etc(11): ipfw pipe show
    00001:  1.000 Mbit/s    0 ms burst 1
    q131073  50 sl. 0 flows (1 buckets) sched 65537 weight 0 lmax 0 pri 0 droptail
    sched 65537 type FIFO flags 0x0 0 buckets 0 active
    00002:  3.000 Mbit/s    0 ms burst 3
    q131074  50 sl. 0 flows (1 buckets) sched 65538 weight 0 lmax 0 pri 0 droptail
    sched 65538 type FIFO flags 0x1 256 buckets 0 active
        mask:  0x00 0xffffffff/0x0000 -> 0x00000000/0x0000
    BKT Prot Source IP/port_ Dest. IP/port Tot_pkt/bytes Pkt/Byte Drp

    I have tried the "ipfw pipe 1 delete" Example below

    [2.1.5-RELEASE][root@]/etc(12): ipfw pipe 1 delete
    [2.1.5-RELEASE][root@]/etc(13): ipfw pipe show
    00002:  3.000 Mbit/s    0 ms burst 3
    q131074  50 sl. 0 flows (1 buckets) sched 65538 weight 0 lmax 0 pri 0 droptail
    sched 65538 type FIFO flags 0x1 256 buckets 0 active
        mask:  0x00 0xffffffff/0x0000 -> 0x00000000/0x0000
    BKT Prot Source IP/port_ Dest. IP/port Tot_pkt/bytes Pkt/Byte Drp

    After this command they are no longer visible when running the show command, yet they do not disappear from the web gui, and they are persistent through a reboot. To me this says they are buried in a configuration somewhere I have not found yet. It is almost like the web gui is overwriting the changes made via the command line.



  • It is almost like the web gui is overwriting the changes made via the command line.

    Heh.  pfSense has its own config files that it uses to rebuild the main configs at reboot.  That's why if you manually make changes outside the WebGUI, they are often if not usually overwritten.

    That's all I know about your problem.



  • KOM

    Thank you for your help, you comments gave me an idea. I ended up backing up the configuration and manually editing the xml file. I then restored the new edited file and wholllla no more limiters. It does seem strange that you should have to go through such lengths just to delete something, anyways is good to go now.

    Thank you again.



  • I am having the same problem.
    Can't delete limiters.

    H



  • The above solution worked for me



  • @Heimire:

    I am having the same problem.
    Can't delete limiters.

    Are you trying to manually delete them at the command line as OP was? You can't do that. Firewall>Traffic Shaper, Limiter tab, click on the limiter, hit "Delete this queue".



  • @cmb:

    @Heimire:

    I am having the same problem.
    Can't delete limiters.

    Are you trying to manually delete them at the command line as OP was? You can't do that. Firewall>Traffic Shaper, Limiter tab, click on the limiter, hit "Delete this queue".

    Using the gui just like you write but its not deleting.
    Not working on either of the 4 boxes we have here.
    Tried it while the limiter was enabled and tried with the limiter disabled.
    The Add new queue button does not work either.

    have not tried to manually delete them from the xml config file since I am not exactly sure what part to take out.



  • If those buttons don't work, you likely have a browser problem. Might also be IE being buggy as I seem to recall something along those lines with it, make sure IE isn't in compatibility mode. Though if you're using IE, you're best off using anything other than it.



  • Hi had the same problems many times before with limiters. I don't think it's browser related. I use chrome all the time. Limiters handling seems to be unstable sometimes.

    To modifie one existing limiters I have to delete them and recreate them all in order to get them working properly.


Log in to reply