Enable per-user bandwidth restriction

• when Enable per-user bandwidth restriction is set, and suppose i have only one username Guest,
    if 5 people connect to guest, then these 5 people will have their own settings for "Enable per-user bandwidth restriction" or the user account Guest will be shared for anyone who connects with the username Guest?

• are you talking about the captive portal?

Zikmen

• I didn't find closer topic on the forum, so I have to bring this up.
    So, if Captive Portal user can login from multiple devices (say laptop and smartphone), does "per-user bandwidth" limit applies on every device separately where user logs in OR all devices logged by users name share that limit?
    Thanks

• You could try out the Squid Proxy for this action, with user authentication and create for each user/device
    an account to handle this proper.

• Thanks for the info, but before any additional installations/configurations, I would like to know how this pfSense feature works, either limits bandwidth on IP or user level.

• @sradas:

I didn't find closer topic on the forum, so I have to bring this up.
    So, if Captive Portal user can login from multiple devices (say laptop and smartphone), does "per-user bandwidth" limit applies on every device separately where user logs in OR all devices logged by users name share that limit?
    Thanks

It applies per device - so, say you set a per login limit of 4Mb - If one user logs in with a laptop and his smartphone, both his laptop and smartphone will have 4Mb each.

If you don't want to use a captive portal then you could try traffic shaping instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usi195rK35I

• OK, thanks. That answered my question.