Xbox Live - Strict NAT

• Hello,

I have read several articles on these forums regarding a common issue with Internet connections and XBL but have not been able to find a solution.  I was hoping someone may be able to assist…

My issue is that I just purchased an Xbox One but am showing "Strict" for the NAT type.  To solve this problem I have tried the following:
    -Enabled UPNP (ports 53-65535 for my statically assigned Xbox's IP)
    -Manually created NAT port forwarding rules
    -Set the Outbound rule creation to Manual

None have seemed to help.  When I created the manual port forwarding rules and turned on UPNP I was able to get "Moderate" momentarily but even that has since ceased to work.  Also, I should note that when I set the Outbound NAT forwarding rules to Manual it seems to "kill" my internet for other devices so I have reverted that back to Automatic.

Please let me know which information I need to post.  I will gladly provide screenshots of my configuration but at this point am not sure what else to try.  I have seen several different threads on here all with wildly different approaches...some of which worked for a few while others had to try different configurations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Just let me know where to start and what information to provide!

Thanks in advance.

• I just tried explicitly forwarding all ports for my xbox and turning on Upnp again and still shows strict….how is that possible?  Also, if i forward all ports isnt Upnp essentially moot at that point?

To provide a little more information here I have pfsense running as my primary router which is plugged directly into my modem.  I have 2 other NIC's in my server running pfsense.  1 is attached to an AP for my wifi and another is for the LAN which is then connected to a switch and ultimately my xbox.  I have a few ports forwarded for things like my webserver and ssh etc but other than that I have a pretty standard home networking setup.

Based on this article: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/networking/network-ports-used-xbox-live    I think I only need to forward a few ports.  I manually put each of those in but still have the same issue so I tried forwarding all ports and still nothing.    If someone responds willing to help I will post my ruleset screenshots in hopes that I may have just misconfigured something.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

• Figured it out…Hopefully this will assist someone in the future.

First of all it seems to be important to restart any switches in between the xbox and pfsense.  I also restart pfsense after making changes to be safe.

I had to enable UPNP, set it as static port, and use manual outbound NAT rules.  I have a separate NIC for my wifi so that is why I thought it was "killing"  my connection.  Therefore I had to add 2 entries (one for WIFI NIC, and one for LAN NIC).  The LAN rule HAS to be at the bottom!!

I did NOT have to add any NAT/port forwarding rules, just had to create those 2 manual outbound rules and enable UPNP.

This is my UPNP rule:  allow 53-65535 192.168.0.109 53-65535.  I left all the default config for UPNP except enabled the default deny checkbox.

• For about a year was trying to figure this out. A whole slew of port alias', Nat rules and a bunch of reboots and retrys.  In the end it was 2 of the three you indicated, but the kicker was NAT:Outbound which you mentioned and got more details from this thread

by boxsterguy
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/6cip47/xbox_nat_is_strict/

Thanks for starting point…

I deleted all crap i did in the past, including port alias and nat rules pointing to the the xboxone.

All i needed was the following on pfsense with Xbox totally shutdown

1.create a DHCP Static IP for Xbox
    2.turn Upnp on with Default deny with one ACL allow 53-65535 172.16.x.x/32 53-65535
    3.Firewall>Nat>Outbound>Hybrid
    4.created a mapping: Interface WAN, source  Network/IP:32, Dest ANY, Under Translation ticked on Static Port and saved
    5.turn on Xboxone

No rebooting of Pfsense or switches needed, which I read in other threads. No totally OPEN. Son is appreciative he can host a game.