Suricata 2.0.4 fails to install

• Hi,
    I tried to install suricata today (fresh installation, pfSense 2.15 AMD64, suricata 2.0.4 pkg v2.1.1, but no luck.

Installation hangs at "Executing custom_php_install_command()…"
    Deinstallation troublesome, too. Hangs at "Deinstall commands...". Trying 2 or 3 times the package gets deinstalled.

Other installed packages before: 1 (Open-VM-Tools, pfSense running on a ESXi-Host)

Any hints?

Oh, and merry christmas :-)

• @BearOne:

Hi,
    I tried to install suricata today (fresh installation, pfSense 2.15 AMD64, suricata 2.0.4 pkg v2.1.1, but no luck.

Installation hangs at "Executing custom_php_install_command()…"
    Deinstallation troublesome, too. Hangs at "Deinstall commands...". Trying 2 or 3 times the package gets deinstalled.

Other installed packages before: 1 (Open-VM-Tools, pfSense running on a ESXi-Host)

Any hints?

Oh, and merry christmas :-)

Can you post the system log messages from the period during the attempted package install?

Bill

• Dec 26 19:33:55 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: Beginning package installation for suricata .
    Dec 26 19:33:56 check_reload_status: Syncing firewall
    Dec 26 19:35:25 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: [Suricata] Installing free GeoIP country database files…
    Dec 26 19:35:25 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: [Suricata] Updating the GeoIP country database files…
    Dec 26 19:35:27 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: [Suricata] GeoIP database update finished.
    Dec 26 19:35:28 check_reload_status: Syncing firewall

Installation window shows:
    Loading package instructions…
    Custom commands...
    Executing custom_php_install_command()...

That's all.

Installation some days ago with previous version worked like a charm.

• @BearOne:

Dec 26 19:33:55 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: Beginning package installation for suricata .
    Dec 26 19:33:56 check_reload_status: Syncing firewall
    Dec 26 19:35:25 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: [Suricata] Installing free GeoIP country database files…
    Dec 26 19:35:25 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: [Suricata] Updating the GeoIP country database files…
    Dec 26 19:35:27 php: /pkg_mgr_install.php: [Suricata] GeoIP database update finished.
    Dec 26 19:35:28 check_reload_status: Syncing firewall

Installation window shows:
    Loading package instructions…
    Custom commands...
    Executing custom_php_install_command()...

That's all.

Installation some days ago with previous version worked like a charm.

Have you tried removing the package by clicking the X icon to completely delete the package?  If not, try that and then install it again.

Another user had a similar issue I believe, but I was never able to reproduce it in my test virtual machines.

Bill

• Hi again,

thx for the suggestion, but I tried all 3 (deinstall,reinstall,reinstall gui c.) several times, and made complete new VMs also. Did not work out so far.

Strange.

• @BearOne:

Hi again,

thx for the suggestion, but I tried all 3 (deinstall,reinstall,reinstall gui c.) several times, and made complete new VMs also. Did not work out so far.

Strange.

Open a console session on the firewall and try this command after attempting to install the package again:

php /usr/local/pkg/suricata/suricata_post_install.php

Post any console screen output messages that look suspicious, and also post the system log output from the same time period.

Bill

• Have the same issue, here is the output

Content-type: text/html

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /usr/local/pkg/suricata/suricata_post_install.php on line 123

• Yep, that's my output, too. Tried on a different machine today, same result.

• @pihl:

Have the same issue, here is the output

Content-type: text/html

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /usr/local/pkg/suricata/suricata_post_install.php on line 123

Ah-ha ..  ;D!  That's the bug report I needed.  Let me examine the offending line and see what's up.

Edit:  I see the problem.  I will submit the fix for review and approval by the pfSense Team in the next couple of days.

• Great! Thank you!

• The Pull Request containing the fix has been posted for the pfSense Developers to review and merge.  Here is a link for anyone wishing to follow the progress:  https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense-packages/pull/761

Bill

• The "fails to install bug" in the Suricata package should now be fixed with the latest update of the package to Suricata 2.0.4 pkg v2.1.2.

Bill

• Confirmed, everything runnin' now.

Thanks again for the fast response and fix!