CBQ WAN too high



  • My cable modem connection is rated at 15Mbit down and 1 Mbit up. I am trying to use the CBQ algorithm and I have my upload bandwidth (WAN) set at .9Mbit.  When I monitor the queues, sometimes I see numbers that are really high on the WAN side (see screen shot).  Any ideas as to what may be causing this?  The rrd graphs seem to be reporting information correctly, but the queue monitor is what is messing up.



  • I have a feeling you have it set to 0.9Gb/s and not 0.9Mb/s



  • Incorrect.  It is set at .9Mbit




  • Even if I had accidentally specified 0.9Gbit, the ISP will only let my connection use 1Mbit.  How would these numbers get that high in the first place?



  • I know if you don't have good drivers, queues might not show at all. What are your NICs? I see LAN is reporting nearly 500Mb/s, which I assume is also questionable.



  • According to the Dell c6100 spec page, the NICs are Onboard: Intel® 82576 – 2 x Gb Ethernet.  I can tell you that WAN is on igb1 and the LAN is using the igb0 interface.



  • Well, I'm out of ideas. Nothing stands out as wrong.



  • I just remembered something that went weird when I ran through the wizard.  The root queue on WAN interface did have it's bandwidth set to Gbit unit.  I changed it to Mbit as you saw in the snapshot and saved it that way.  Is there anything else I have to do to make that change take affect?



  • should be immediate once you do Save+Apply, that has been my experience with HFSC and changing the root rate.



  • That's what I thought.  So we still don't have an answer for this.  Later today I will try changing the value and then re-saving to see if that makes any difference.



  • I changed the upload limit on the root queue for the WAN side from 0.9 -> 0.95 and re-saved it.  Now my queue numbers are much more reasonable.  I'm wondering if there is a bug on the page to define the queue where if you only change the units (Gbit, Mbit, etc) in the drop down box and save it, it doesn't really change anything.



  • Try changing the units back to gbits but leave the value the same and see if it does strange things again. Same thing when changing back.



  • I changed the units bat to gbits like you suggested, and my bandwidth values did not change from what they were a few minutes ago.  It sure seems like just changing that value on the form is not taking effect when you save / apply it.