Soekris alternative hardware?

• Now, I know this forum has already a few recommendations for hardware but I am still unsure which one to get for my issue.

Let me describe:

I have a few soekris running in my small office and they are actually quite decent. With pfsense on it, I am able to quickly setup any firewall configuration for my needs including VPN and proper network seperation.
    However a while ago one of these boxes died for unknown reasons and now another. They just won't get up again, hanging in error-state at power-on not even entering the bios screen.

The problem I have with them now is, that all I can do is sending them back for a replacement or buy new ones. However soekris being based in CA and I sitting in Germany makes this somewhat difficult. I also can not effort to have one spare box in storage for any occassion when I just want to run a small office.

If I had a consumer hardware, I just could go into the next electronic store for replacement which would cost me just a few hours of work, but consumer hardware is not as relieable on the other hand and most would not run pfsense or similar. I replaced one box with OpenWRT but honestly I hate that thing compared to pfsense. OpenWRT might be good if you want to run a small router for your home but getting into anything more advanced and special applications are often difficult to setup also because the documentation of OpenWRT is quite crappy (Wiki is often outdated, incorrect and incomplete especially on some of the not-so-common use cases).

So now my question, what could replace a soekris for pfsense while being available in Germany/Europe in case of fluent support, emergency replacement process and waranty issues?

PS: The variant I have running is the net6501-30

• Netgate Administrator

A lot of things.  :)

What bandwidth do you need through the box? Do you need the full bandwidth for VPN? What packages are you running? How many interfaces do you need?

Steve

• A processor that supports crypto acceleration…

• As for the bandwidth, yes would be good if it had as much as DSL uplink can bring. Crypto was supported on the soekris as far as I know

• The 6501 doesn't have a crypto chip. The PC Engines APU is in the same class and cheaper, if you can get those easier.

• Netgate Administrator

More detail please. ADSL is good for 8Mb/s, VDSL2 is good for 250Mb/s.  ;)

Steve

• Just so you know, SoeKris does have an EU office and service..

http://www.soekris.eu/shop/

============================

• Hello,

The problem I have with them now is, that all I can do is sending them back for a replacement or
    buy new ones.
    For sure you have to do this also if you are using other brands, as I see it right.

However soekris being based in CA and I sitting in Germany makes this somewhat difficult.
    Not really, you are able to buy them here in Germany also, did you know this?
    Tronico - Soekris dealer
    Passman - Soelris dealer
    Varia-Shop - Spare parts dealer

I also can not effort to have one spare box in storage for any occassion when
    I just want to run a small office.
    But you could run pfSense on two boxes simultaneous by using the pfsync over CARP or VRRP
    so you would never standing alone there! Otherwise if a box dies it is not related to the brand
    on it. Dead is dead!

• Alix APU and Lanner FW-7525, 7535 or 7541
      Will do the job also good enough for you, if crypto support for vpn is really important I suggest
      to go with the Lanner boxes, they are quiet silent and sufficient enough for a home usage up
      to 50 MBit/s VDSL or 100 MBit/s VDSL Vectoring. They can hold soekris vpn1411 cards or
      comes with native crypto support (7725).