CARP Maintenance Mode

• I have CARP issues similar to those discussed here: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=80095.0  Two identical boxes, CARP interfaces connected via a switch (some VLANs) and my Backup continuously wants to take over as Master for, as far as I can tell, no reason.  The Master never shows any logs regarding downgrading to a Backup, but the Backup always has messages of going back forth between Master and Backup on multiple VLANs, not all at the same time.  I have pretty much given up on troubleshooting this and just accepted that is exists.

This part is different - running in v2.2-Release, what is the purpose of CARP Maintenance Mode?  I think I know what it is, but it doesn't seem to work as expected.  In my Master, if I click on that, the Master goes to Backup and the Backup goes to Master.  Seems normal.  However, if I do it the other  way (normal operation on both), and put the Backup into Maintenance Mode, it continues as if nothing has changed - logs still show toggling between Backup and Master, status still shows toggling to Master on some VLANs.  How is this possible if it is in Maintenance Mode?