Disk activity

• My pfsense 1.2 release shows 3% disk activity and makes a small amount of disk activity noise. Annoying.

I had earlier installed snort and few packages but have long deleted them…

Please see attached picture.

Is there a way to stop this or reduce this down? I also noticed left over config data for snort et al from past I wonder if that may be the reason. Perhaps I should delete the left over clutter about packages that I dont have installed nay more...

Any suggestion to bring disk activity down will be helpful.

Thanks much.
    Anil Garg

• It writes logfiles to the hdd for example. A little bit of diskactivity is normal.

• At a hardware level you have a number of choices.

Switching to 2.5" drives (I'm running a Microdrive and even when it's busy it's barely audible).
    Switching to a lower noise 3.5" drive (such as the new WD "Green" 5400 RPM drives)
    Making use of one of the many noise damping enclosures on the market (http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/harddrivesolutions)

You could even combine the above, switch from a 3.5" drive to a 2.5" drive inside an enclosure.

• Btw, it's 3% disk USAGE not activity which means there is plenty of space left on your hdd  ;)

• Thanks. I must have been blind to not see that.  I suppose I was reading what I was looking for instead of what facts were.
    Sorry.
    Anil

@hoba:

Btw, it's 3% disk USAGE not activity which means there is plenty of space left on your hdd  ;)