Does tinc do multihomed failover?

• Hello,

I have a setup where multiple branch offices with dual internet connections need to connect to my site via a VPN connection to access a server.  My site only has one internet connection.

Failover on IPSec is impossible, and OpenVPN's failover failback functionality seems a little crude.

Is tinc able to failover and failback with dual internet connections?

• Hi,

i deal with a site with two internet connections who talks to a single connected master site over OpenVPN:

+-----------------+
           |                 |
           |  Remote site    |
           |                 |
           +-----------------+
                 |      |
                 |      |
                 |      v
                 v   XXXXX
                XXXXXX   XX
             XXX          X
             XX  internet X
              XXXXXX   XXXX
                   XXXX
                    ^
                    |
                    |
           +-----------------+
           |                 |
           |  master site    |
           |                 |
           +-----------------+

To it works wonderfully.

Master site is linux, remote site is pfsense.

This is how I got it:

At the remote site:

• Create a gateway group with your connections in two different tiers (failover)

• Configure a firewall rule redirecting outgoing OpenVpn tunnel traffic (normally UDP traffic on port 1194) to this gateway group

• Have fun

At master site:

• Check option "Allow connected clients to retain their connections if their IP address changes."

• Sit back and relax.

You'll lost connection for a few seconds while openvpn detects the IP change, but after that, traffic will resume.

![Captura de Tela 2015-10-27 às 19.10.53.png](/public/imported_attachments/1/Captura de Tela 2015-10-27 às 19.10.53.png)
    ![Captura de Tela 2015-10-27 às 19.10.53.png_thumb](/public/imported_attachments/1/Captura de Tela 2015-10-27 às 19.10.53.png_thumb)

• This is off-topic, but I've been running the server portion of OpenVPN at the remote offices, listening on the failover gateway, and running the clients at the central site.

I add this to the client config at the central site:

remote rmt.fai.ovr.con pporrtt;
    keepalive 1 4;

Seems to work pretty well.

Total time to failover = failover timeout configured on gateway group + failover timeout configured by the keepalive statement on the client

I believe the above OpenVPN timeout is set to 4 seconds