2.1.5 Upgrade issues



  • Well I tend to put off upgrades till the next release rolls around so a couple of nights ago I decided to upgrade from 2..1.5 to 2.2.1 but the upgrade went sideways.  Running i386 full install version, have a handful of packages, the first problem was I was getting 503 errors from the web ui.

    I ended up doing a reinstall and then restoring my configuration.  So it appears that I had packages that were no longer supported mainly pfblocker so I ran through some forum lists and cleaned up the config.xml and things appeared to be working.  The next day internet was working but I decided to peak at the router and got the 503 error :( I ssh'd to the box and restarted the php-fm and things would work again.  After a period of time it would revert back to the same issue.  It appears to be related to BandwidthD, I do have that package and it appeared to be messed up.  I uninstalled and re-installed BandwidthD and thought that things were working properly.

    Then I upgraded from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 and it upgraded fine but I was had more 503 errors, once again I uninstalled BandwidthD and reinstalled and things appeared to be working again.

    But…this morning when I was walking out the door my wife stated her tablet was connecting to the internet, I thought it was the wireless but it appears that the DHCP server on pfsense was borked.  I logged onto a wired machine and pounded in a static and was able to get the web page up but was unable to restart the DHCP service, something more serious was going on but I did not have time to troubleshoot.  I rebooted the box and everything started working again, but I'm not sure its going to continue.

    I will do some more troubleshooting tonight and see if the logs are clean this go around but I'm a long time user from 1.x days and first time I've had any issues.  You come to depend on it just working, when I did the initial upgrade my uptime was over 200 days.

    Hopefully I can figure out what is going on and what I can do to make it stable again, maybe I just need to uninstall BandwidthD and see if that changes anything or let it run the way it is and troubleshoot when or if it happens again.

    Will reply when I have more information :)



  • The bandwidthd issue is bug https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/3986
    If anyone can work out what is causing that interaction with PHP-FPM and even better, how to fix it, you will be a hero!
    I would live without bandwidthd, and maybe your troubles will all og away.



  • @phil.davis:

    The bandwidthd issue is bug https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/3986
    If anyone can work out what is causing that interaction with PHP-FPM and even better, how to fix it, you will be a hero!
    I would live without bandwidthd, and maybe your troubles will all og away.

    Yeah I saw that last night, lots of error messages in the syslog, I thought I had everything working but the DHCP service tanking, not sure what the heck is going on.  I could get on the web gui but restarting DHCP service didnt appear to be working, was just acting funky.  Kind of like BandwidthD but something is not happy with my configuration, so I might uninstall most of the packages and just get back to the basics and see what that does, when things have been stable for so long kind of a bummer to have things not like they were….

    I will be poking around when I get home and see if its still working...


Log in to reply