Wifi AP in OPT port

• Hi,
    another perhaps noob question here, but I have a Wifi router that has been converted into a wireless AP.
    It has a static address on my net.
    It was plugged into a switch on the lan, but I would like to isolate it into an OPT interface on the pfsense box.
    I have created the interface, bridged it to the LAN, but since the AP has a fixed IP address, how do I configure
    the IP configuration type in the interface to ensure clients connecting to the AP still get a DHCP address ?
    If I select DHCP in the interface that should mean that the pfsense box will issue an address from the DHCP pool to the AP
    not necessarily anyone connected to it…right ?
    What am I not getting here?

If I set it to None, then anything connecting to it is NOT getting an IP address..

thanks

Chris

• LAYER 8 Netgate

If you want to isolate it what is the bridge for?  That's the opposite of isolation.

Delete the bridge
    Pick a new subnet for the OPT1 network
    Set OPT1 to use that subnet
    Put the appropriate firewall rules on OPT1 for your Wi-Fi users
    Create a DHCP instance for OPT1

• And don't use the "router" bit of "WiFi router". Ignore its "WAN" port - plug one of its LAN ports into pfSense OPT1. Disable DHCP on "WiFi router". That way it will act like just a dumb AP, and clients can get their DHCP, DNS… direct from pfSense.

• @Derelict:

If you want to isolate it what is the bridge for?  That's the opposite of isolation.

Delete the bridge
    Pick a new subnet for the OPT1 network
    Set OPT1 to use that subnet
    Put the appropriate firewall rules on OPT1 for your Wi-Fi users
    Create a DHCP instance for OPT1

In the Itnterface allocation tab for pfsense, when I enable the OPT interface it is looking for an IP configuration type which has DHCP, Static etc.
    When you state "Pick a new subnet for the OPT1 net" how would I do that ? Sorry I'm not clear on that part. IF I want to create a DHCP instance, would I select this as an IP config type ? IF so wouldn't that conflict with my AP which already has a fixed IP address ? IF you are referring to activating the DHCP service on the OPT interface, then that is only possible if my OPT interface has a static address which I can do in the interface assignment tab, however since the AP already has a pre-canned Fixed IP, what should I do. Change the AP to DHCP ? not clear on how that works.
    …and thanks very much for your insight and assistance.

Chris

• LAYER 8 Netgate

Choose an unused subnet from the RFC1918 space.  Assign it to pfSense OPT1.  Set a DHCP instance for OPT1 that serves config for that subnet.

Here are some random choices:

10.244.200.0/24
    172.26.198.0/24
    192.168.29.0/24

Set the IP address for the LAN side of your router to a static IP on the OPT1 subnet, turn off DHCP on the AP like phil said.  Plug the LAN side of your AP into the OPT1 subnet.

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=81014.msg442131#msg442131

• "Choose an unused subnet from the RFC1918 space.  Assign it to pfSense OPT1"

Ok really sorry to ask this, but how and where do I assign a different subnet space to OPT1 ?
    The only options on the Interface are to choose the config type. Is this done under DHCP Server
    once the OPT is activated ?

thanks for your patience…

• You need to set a static IPv4 on OPT1.
    e.g. your LAN IP might be 192.168.42.1/24
    Your OPT1 IP could be 192.168.43.1/24
    Then set your WiFi device management IP to something in 192.168.43.* (e.g. 192.168.43.2/24) - it is only needed so you can reach its management interface.
    Then set a DHCP range on OPT1 in 192.168.43.* - e.g. 192.168.43.100-199

Make sure to disable DHCP on the WiFi device.

• OK thanks,
    I think it has just donned on me where I am going wrong.
    My Pfsense box has a small network attribution of /24 only.
    I'll change that to /16.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is where I went wrong.

Chris

• LAYER 8 Netgate

Oh good God.  Dude.  Read a book.

• Yes I will and thanks.
    It works now.

cheers