2.1.5 to 2.2.2 upgrade issues



  • I was trying to upgrade from 2.1.5 to 2.2.2 and it doesn't seem to work. The webUI will say it's upgraded but the system will never reboot. I let it sit at the "firmware upgrade in progress" message for over 8 hours and nothing. Once I force a reboot the webUI is dead, and the admin console never comes up.

    What are some other options for upgrading? I am thinking it may be possible to backup the config on version 2.1.5, then do a full install of 2.2.2 then restore the config.

    Any advise is greatly appreciated.

    Below are screenshots from the upgrade.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qa9phsy26aacsit/msg1.PNG?dl=0

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jlsyk4ihhvwjm0/msg2.PNG?dl=0



  • @mphilli7823:

    I was trying to upgrade from 2.1.5 to 2.2.2 and it doesn't seem to work. The webUI will say it's upgraded but the system will never reboot. I let it sit at the "firmware upgrade in progress" message for over 8 hours and nothing. Once I force a reboot the webUI is dead, and the admin console never comes up.

    What are some other options for upgrading? I am thinking it may be possible to backup the config on version 2.1.5, then do a full install of 2.2.2 then restore the config.

    Any advise is greatly appreciated.

    Below are screenshots from the upgrade.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qa9phsy26aacsit/msg1.PNG?dl=0

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jlsyk4ihhvwjm0/msg2.PNG?dl=0

    Seems to be a few "issues" with 2.1.5 & 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 or so I've observed since I tried the 2.1.5 to 2.2.1 upgrade. Right now my main box is still running 2.1.5 and "playing or experimenting" on my backup box with 2.2.1. I haven't worked out the issues yet, some being my absolute unfamiliarity with FreeBSD CLI ( I need to make some permemant changes to my boot file from the CL before I switch the card to my main unit).

    But as to your question, my first attempt at 2.2.1 failed due to the manner in which DMA is handled between the older BSD and ver 10 (the new base for pfsense), the upgrade worked so to seem, but after a hard boot, the DMA issue surfaced and my main box wouldn't complete the boot, so I did a re-burn of my CF card to 2.1.5 and then restored my backup config.xml file….works fine at least on mine, I think I had to reinstall an add on or two, but otherwise no problem.......I backup config.xml every week or two and after any changes made, a practice that's good to get into and should be standard practice.

    This should get you up and running again.

    Now a new serial issue showed up on the 2.2.1 to 2.2.2 upgrade (fixed I hear....we shall see) about serial port needs to be disabled in bios.

    Personally I'd run 2.1.5 and set up another machine (or VM) to try out the upgrade before committing it to my main box, changing to FreeBSD 10 from 8 will in itself introduce some "unforeseen issues" with many machines given the variety Pfsense is installed on.



  • So I ended up just doing a fresh install of 2.2.2 and then restoring the config from the 2.1.5 box. It looks like it worked fine…



  • Kool…...seems to be the best method of upgrade. That way "little surprises" don't bite ya on the can. Going to order a new CF card here to use for "Upgrades"....burn the new one, restore the config.xml file.

    The autoupdate is a .........well...........rough around the edges. Glad it worked.


Log in to reply