Trying to get AT&T AirCard 313U Working, No Luck, can anyone help?



  • I've been beating my head …  I can't seem to get this thing going.  The USB is detected, as it adds.

    /dev/cuaU0
    /dev/cuaU0.1
    /dev/cuaU0.2
    /dev/cuaU0.3
    /dev/cuaU0.4
    /dev/cuaU0.5
    /dev/cuaU1

    I have tested each dev, and clearly /dev/cuaU0.3 is the correct serial interface, at least from the perspective of it responds to the AT commands.

    When I set this thing up, and it a vanilla PPP setup, using *99# for dial string, and "broadband" for the APN, it fails to connect ...

    Jun 16 22:47:27 ppp: [opt1_link0] Link: reconnection attempt 31 in 3 seconds
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] Link: reconnection attempt 31
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] CHAT: +CGDCONT=1,"IP","broadband"
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] CHAT: Detected Hayes compatible modem.
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] CHAT: Dialing server at 99#…
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] CHAT: ATDT
    99#
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] CHAT: The remote modem did not answer.
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] MODEM: chat script failed
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] Link: DOWN event
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] LCP: Down event
    Jun 16 22:47:30 ppp: [opt1_link0] Link: reconnection attempt 32 in 4 seconds

    If I go to a ppp terminal …

    [2.2.2-RELEASE][admin@firewall]/etc/ppp: ppp
    Working in interactive mode
    Using interface: tun0
    ppp ON zimmy> set device /dev/cuaU0.3
    ppp ON zimmy> term
    deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaU0.3
    Type `~?' for help

    OK
    ATD*99#
    CONNECT 100000000

    Now, I don't know if that means a whole lot, but it at least "Seems" like from the command line, it is kicking the session up, but when I exit that PPP session, and try to get the box to connect normally, you just keep cycling as what it noted in my logs above.

    Below is some additional info …  If ANYONE can help me, I would be forever grateful.  I'm beating my head here.

    ATI
    Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
    Model: AirCard 313U
    Revision: SWI9200X_03.05.10.02AP R4684 CARMD-EN-10527 2012/02/25 11:58:38
    IMEI: 012615000411836
    IMEI SV: 8
    FSN: CDF2101111710
    3GPP Release 8
    +GCAP: +CGSM

    AT&V
    &C: 1; &D: 2; &E: 0; &F: 0; &S: 0; &W: 0; E: 1; L: 0; M: 0; Q: 0; V: 1;
    X: 1; Z: 0; \Q: 3; \S: 0; \V: 0; O: 0; S0: 0; S2: 43; S3: 13; S4: 10;
    S5: 8; S6: 2; S7: 0; S8: 2; S9: 6; S10: 14; S11: 95; S30: 0; S103: 1;
    S104: 1; +FCLASS: 0; +ICF: 3,3; +IFC: 2,2; +IPR: 115200; +DR: 0;
    +DS: 0,0,2048,6; +CMEE: 2; +WS46: 12; +CFUN:; +CBST: 0,0,1;
    +CRLP: (61,61,48,6,0),(61,61,48,6,1),(240,240,52,6,2);
    +CV120: 1,1,1,0,0,0; +CHSN: 0,0,0,0; +CSSN: 0,0; +CREG: 0; +CGREG: 0;
    +CEREG: 0; +CSCS: "IRA"; +CSTA: 129; +CR: 0; +CRC: 0;
    +CGDCONT: (1,"IP","broadband","0.0.0.0",0,0),(2,"IP","broadband","0.0.0.0",0,0),(13,"IP","wap.cingular","0.0.0.0",0,0),(15,"IP","broadband","0.0.0.0",0,0);
    +CGDSCONT: ; +CGTFT: ; +CGEQREQ: ; +CGEQMIN: ; +CGEQOS: ; +CGQREQ: ;
    +CGQMIN: ; +CGEREP: 0,0; +CGDATA: "PPP"; +CGCLASS: "A"; +CGSMS: 1;
    +CSMS: 0; +CMGF: 0; +CSAS: 0; +CRES: 0; +CSCA: "+13123149810",145;
    +CSMP: ,,0,0; +CSDH: 0; +CSCB: 0,"",""; +FDD: 0; +FAR: 0; +FCL: 0;
    +FIT: 0,0; +ES: ,,; +ESA: 0,,,,0,0,255,; +CMOD: 0; +CEMODE: 0; +CVHU: 0;
    +CPIN: ,;  +CMEC: 0,0,0,0; +CIND: 0,3,1,1,0,0,1,2; +CMER: 0,0,0,0,0;
    +CGATT: 1; +CGACT: 0; +CPBS: "SM"; +CPMS: "SM","SM","SM";
    +CNMI: 0,0,0,0,0; +CMMS: 0; +FTS: 0; +FRS: 0; +FTH: 3; +FRH: 3; +FTM: 96;
    +FRM: 96; +CCUG: 0,0,0; +COPS: 0,0,""; +CUSD: 0; +CAOC: 1; +CCWA: 0;
    +CCLK: ""; +CPOL: 0,2,"",0,0,0,0; +CPLS: 0; +CTZR: 0; +CTZU: 0; +CLIP: 0;
    +COLP: 0; +CDIP: 0; +CLIR: 0; +CMUX: 0,0,5,31,10,3,30,10,2;
    !CMUX: 0,0,5,31,10,3,30,10,2





  • Is your mode-switching going correctly? You have the right USB port it appears.

    You should see an eject like this:

    da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present



  • Have you fired up Sierra Watcher in Windows and made sure the SIM card is OK and everything is working properly?
    Reason i say that is there are no distinct error messages in pfSense if SIM is not valid. You can fire off some AT commands to verify from PPP.
    Note on the PPP.conf stuff. It has been changed since that post. Now using mpd5. Settings for that are in different spot. Goes by interface name. I think the modem script gets generated on interface setup and sometimes it goes wrong so it don't hurt to wipe and try again.

    That said i don't see a single pfSense success story with that device. Its old enough and seems to use the exact same firmware as my Sierra MC7700 but that don't mean much… My general feeling is that internal modules have much less problems than USB fobs.


Log in to reply