Routing from WAN to LAN

• I have a PFSENSE box that is routing traffic like this :-

Domain –-- PFSense ----- Smoothwall Filter ------- Internet

It's working fine, I can ping the gateways from each interface and the internet is working across VLANS and the LAN , however I can't seem to ping anything on the domain from the WAN interface.

I need access to Active Directory from the Smoothwall box to allow Authentication - how would I do this ?

LAN address is 192.168.5.80 - Smoothwall Gateway is 192.168.110.1 (WAN IP is 192.168.110.2)

Cheers

What I'm trying to achieve is one PFSENSE box as a router instead of a layer 3 switch for internal lan and vlans to smoothwall

Eventually it will be LAN -> PFSENSE Router -> Smoothwall -> PFSENSE Firewall

• WAN is set to ignore private addresses by default, so it's not going to respond to your Smoothwall unless you uncheck that via (Interfaces - WAN).  Are you using pfSense as a router only (firewall disabled)  or is the firewall still active?  To get access to your DC, you could add a WAN rule that allows the Smoothwall to have full access to the DC.

• Yes the firewall is still active but I have rules to allow all traffic (IPV4* LAN/WAN/VLAN * * * *) on each interface

What would the rule look like ? And would it be easier to disable the firewall ?

Thanks for the help

• What would the rule look like ?

It would look like a Pass rule with your Smoothwall as the Source and the DC as the Destination.  Ports depend on your Windows Server version, but likely 49152-65535 if you want to limit access to just domain services.

And would it be easier to disable the firewall ?

It's certainly easy, but I don't know how it would perform for you.  Try it.  System - Advanced - Firewall/NAT - Disable firewall.

• Thanks, I'll give it a go - nearly there it's just this last hurdle :)

• I removed the firewall role and still nothing, I can ping the DC from the LAN interface but I can't from the WAN interface (full packet loss) I must be missing something somewhere!

seems I was, seeing as this is in a non production environment I needed to add the gateway to the DCs (had to slap myself there…)

• Maybe post screencaps of your interface details.

• I know I started another thread but, I recreated the box and kept it simple as possible

http://imgur.com/a/1X55p

• I see John's made more progress so I'll abandon this thread.