Configuration references interfaces that do not exist

• Hello everyone.

I had an issue with a Netgate 7535 (2.1) where I couldn't upgrade to 2.2, it kept having an error in the upgrade log regarding one of the slices. There was another topic I found regarding this issue but ultimately they couldn't resolve it and figured it would be easier to do a backup and restore. I figured I would setup a brand new Alix APU board and restore the config to this device because the Netgate was remote. I would then simply replace the device after hours without any issues, or so I thought.

I installed 2.2.2-Release-4g (64bit) on the Alix APU. I did a backup on the Netgate and downloaded the config. I then restored the config to the Alix and it automatically rebooted. I  figured it would make me configure the network interfaces again and so I plugged the console cable in and I received the following messages:

Starting device manager (devd)…done.
    Loading configuration......done.
    Warning: Configuration references interfaces that do not exist: em0

Network interface mismatch -- Running interface assignment option.
    re0: link state changed to DOWN
    re1: link state changed to DOWN
    re2: link state changed to DOWN

Valid interfaces are:

re0    00:0d:      (up) RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
    re1    00:0d:    (up) RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
    re2    00:0d:    (up) RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet

Do you want to set up VLANs first?

I proceed with configuring the interfaces then when I select 'Y' to write config, it says:

Do you want to proceed [y|n]?y

Writing configuration….....done.
    Warning: Configuration references interfaces that do not exist: em0

Network interface mismatch -- Running interface assignment option.

Valid interfaces are:

re0    00:0d:  (up) RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
    re1    00:0d:  (up) RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet
    re2    00:0d:  (up) RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F/G PCIe Gigabit Ethernet

Do you want to set up VLANs first?

It continues to loop never actually saving the config. I tried rebooting and still the same issue, not sure what else I could try. I suppose I have to reflash the SDcard again. Any suggestions?

• What I did to get the system to boot, was get into single user mode and edit the file config.xml file. For some reason, I couldn't use VI to edit the file, the screen would appear corrupt, seems like it only showed the first two lines at the bottom of the console. Didn't want to waste time debuging that so I used sed to find and replace em0, em1, and em2 with re1, re2, and re0 respectively. This allowed the system to boot up now but I couldn't access the web interface. Who knows what else I screwed up by using SED. I decided to factory reset the firewall and restore the config manually.

Also, I'm guessing it is because it is BSD, the SED parameters were not working from linux. The command I used to get it to work was:

sed -i '' 's/em0/re1/g' /cf/conf/config.xml

Slightly different than linux.

• The console-based interfaces assignment script should do the job for you, assuming you answered all the questions validly. I will try that in a little while on a test APU of mine.
    When changing hardware I just edit config.xml first on my laptop and then restore the edited version to the new hardware.
    You have to be careful - do not do blind search/replace operations in config.xml because it (surprisingly often) happens that "em0" "vr1" or similar strings appear in the config in "random" keys of OpenVPN PSK links, other authentication strings… And you do not want to alter those ones.
    pfSense has "ee" easy editor installed. If I really need to edit at the console I use "ee".

• Yeah, I tried ee as well, similar results to VI. I figured that could do damage using a blind find/replace but I just wanted to actually boot into the system to do a factory reset. I didn't want to have to take apart the box to flash the SD card again. The script no matter what, wouldn't let me get through. I even tried using the "auto" method and it was using the same interface names I was typing with the same results.