Radvd not getting updated



  • Hello Everybody,

    I am using the german provider netcologne, which is providing IpV6 natively since a while now. I did manage to get it running but still seeing an issue from time to time.

    The story is:

    • after a reboot everything works fine IpV4/IpV6 connectivity.

    • I am getting disconnected by my provider twice a day and my public IpV4/V6 address is changed. So far so good.

    • This will work for quite a while (days/weeks??) until my IpV6 connectivity from the local subnets will break.

    After looking into my systems, I will see that

    • the public IpV6 address of my local machine is not in the subnet, pfsense is presently being delegated by my provider, but is a former one

    • The radvd configuration on Pfsense (/var/etc/radvd.conf) still contains the old IpV6 address, I do see on my local machine.

    • The cache file (/var/db/wan_ipv6) does contain the up-to-date link local IP address of the interface.

    the interface looks ok to me:

    $ ifconfig pppoe0
    pppoe0: flags=89d1 <up,pointopoint,running,noarp,promisc,simplex,multicast>metric 0 mtu 1492
    	inet6 fe80::20d:b9ff:fe35:84b6%pppoe0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xf 
    	inet6 2001:4dd0:af11:303d:20d:b9ff:fe35:84b6 prefixlen 64 autoconf 
    	inet 87.78.xxx.xxx --> 195.14.xxx.xxxx netmask 0xffffffff 
    	nd6 options=23<performnud,accept_rtadv,auto_linklocal></performnud,accept_rtadv,auto_linklocal></up,pointopoint,running,noarp,promisc,simplex,multicast>
    

    I did try to:

    • go to the Status-> Interfaces menue and try to disconnet/connect the interface.

    • go to the interfaces -> WAN tab and try to disable /enable the interface (with "Apply changes" after every action)

    but nothing changes the situation. The configuration file  I can see in the logs that the script  "rc.newwanipv6" was run every time:

    php-fpm[44422]: /rc.newwanipv6: ROUTING: setting default route to 195.14.226.4
    
    

    but setting a V4 default route on the V6 interface looks strange to me.

    I am pretty sure that the setup works for some time as I can remember seeing the global addresses accumulate when having a machine in the network for more than 12h (the disconnect interval of my provider)

    Additional Information on the providers setup can be found here (German only): https://www.netcologne.de/privatkunden/ipv6 look for the openwrt dropdown and paste to some translation service if English is desired. This is the most technical documentation they do provide.

    My WAN config looks like
    <wan><if>pppoe0</if>

    <spoofmac><enable><ipaddr>pppoe</ipaddr>
    <ipaddrv6>dhcp6</ipaddrv6>

    <dhcp6-ia-pd-len>16</dhcp6-ia-pd-len>
    <dhcp6prefixonly><dhcp6usev4iface></dhcp6usev4iface></dhcp6prefixonly></enable></spoofmac></wan>

    <ppps><ppp><ptpid>0</ptpid>
    <type>pppoe</type>
    <if>pppoe0</if>
    <ports>XXX</ports>
    <username>XXX</username>
    <password>XXX</password>
    <provider><pppoe-reset-type>custom</pppoe-reset-type></provider></ppp></ppps>

    Any Idea where I could go from here?



  • @stefan.beckers:


    I am getting disconnected by my provider twice a day and my public IpV4/V6 address is changed. So far so good.
    ...
    Any Idea where I could go from here?

    Really ? How can you live with that  ;)

    Demand some sane (quasi-)static IPv6 with DHCP6-PD. Then you can config static/DHCP6-Server IPv6 for your LAN's…
    So stop the /64 and get the /48 from ISP.



  • @hda:

    @stefan.beckers:


    I am getting disconnected by my provider twice a day and my public IpV4/V6 address is changed. So far so good.
    ...
    Any Idea where I could go from here?

    Really ? How can you live with that  ;)

    Demand some sane (quasi-)static IPv6 with DHCP6-PD. Then you can config static/DHCP6-Server IPv6 for your LAN's…
    So stop the /64 and get the /48 from ISP.

    I can assure you that the world keeps revolving using a standard setup.  8)

    I always was getting a /48 Prefix. So this was not the problem. (took me a while figuring out how to get dhcp6c increase logging so I could make sure what it's doing…)

    Just for the record: as of today pfSense is broken for IpV6 with dynamic IpV6 assignment over dhcp6 on pppoe. Things seem to improve here, also see e.g. https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/3670.

    My internet connectivity in the subnets works for some days. Then IpV6 breaks after a provider disconnect. The problem here is that radvd does not get reconfigured and does not propagate the correct local subnet but keeps propagating an old one. But to emphasise: this does work for some days and over several disconnects. As of now I do suspect that this is the "Problem 2" they are describing in the bug above. I do see multiple instances of "dhcp6c" piling up.



  • This sounds like Redmine #5297.

    I've developed a fix, which is in recent 2.2.5-DEVELOPMENT snapshots. If this solves the problem, please comment on the bug to reference this thread and say your problem is fixed.


Log in to reply