How to Verify if Shaper is Disabled?

• Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my old DSL line (2k down, 0.3k uplink) to a cable line (25Mb/s down, 2.5Mbit/s uplink) and was wondering why the speed did not really increase.

After loads of digging I figured out the traffice shaper was still set to the old values and therefore limited traffic. I completely removed the shaper and created a new one with the current values but the downlink is still limited.

When I do a speedtest (wieistmeineip.de) it shows me 100% of uplink speed but still the 2k down as line speed. So it appears the traffic shaper still does some limiting.

How can I verify (on command line) if the traffic shaper is really completely disabled?

/KNEBB

• sir, I have a dumb question, is it working with its full speed without the pfsense box?

the only way (for me) is to totally remove "all" the shaper then test [considering I backup the shaper and restore later] and making sure 'states' is also reset and/or with a system reboot.

• As pfSense is my Internet access router I can obviously not test without it….
    I could test tomorrow when I am in the office but I have to see how I can replace temporarly the pfSense box...

I removed all the shaper settings from all queues.  How Do I make sure the states are reset?

Currently I do not want to restart the box as I will losse connection then.

Greetings

Christian

• under 'diagnostics' -> 'states'

then there is a 'reset states' tab

• I did as suggested- even rebooted the pfSense firewall.

In WebGUI the traffic shaper appears to be disabled- but I have less download than uplink….

Isn't there a command line tool to verify settings?

• From the console, run

pfctl -s queue -v

• /root: pfctl -a queue -v
    /root:

Output is empty. Does this mean it is disabled?

Just downloading a 100MB file from the pfSense console with fetch:

]/root: fetch http://www.domain.de/file
    file                                           29% of  100 MB   84 kBps 11m40s

This is ways to slow!

I am trying to install a different router now for testing purposes allthough I am pretty sure this is a software issue at the pfSense one…

• Sorry, I misread the suggestion by KOM.

Here's the correct output:

[2.2.4-RELEASE][root@router2.knebb.de]/root: pfctl -s queue -v
    No queue in use

So it appears it is disabled correctly, right?

Going to do a fresh install and see what happens…

• If you have no queues then shaping is disabled.  Confirm that you have no Floating rules to direct traffic into any queues.  Your Status - Queues view should also be empty.

• I installed a pfSense instance from scratch by installing it through CD.iso. (is is virtual and runs on a VMware ESXi, so this is hassle free)

No configuration except the WAN/ LAN interfaces.

Same! Download max 2Mb/s- nearly the same as the uplink!

So I doubt it is a pfSense issue. Could confirm it is not by attaching a Win7 directly to the cable modem- speedtest showed same results.

So definetly not a pfSense issue.

Still on searching for the root cause together with the provider's support team.

Anyways, thanks for the ideas!

/KNEBB