Hardware Recommendations for 1000M/1000M WAN Speed ?
Recently upgraded my service to a 1000M/1000M and the UTM/router that was in place isn't up to snuff for the new speed and is essentially a bottleneck at this point.
Three key questions I'd like to request some input on if I could please:
1) Does PF Sense support that fast of a WAN speed of 1000M by 1000M?
2) What kind of hardware (CPU, Memory) would be recommend?
3) Any 1U hardware recommendations to support that particular speed under $400?
Background, currently using a SG105 appliance, it's only able to support around 200M before becoming a bottleneck.
PFSense would be running: DHCP, DNS, Proxy, OpenVPN, Snort and I think that's about it off hand.
- of course
- an Atom C2000, say C2558 or faster, is probably your best bet for new, low cost, fast systems.
- there are no options for new rackmountable hardware under $400. This would be your cheapest rack-mountable option that we sell. To get something rackmount for under $400 you'll have to go the ebay route on something used.
Thanks appreciate the answers - looks like a 1U unit is probably not going to happen based on budget and a quick look on eBay.
How about an Intel i5-2400 processor @ 3.10GHz with 12 GB RAM tower PC?
Looks like those can be had fairly cheaply, then all I have to do is get a good performing PCIe dual NIC.