Pfblocker crash: Maximum execution time exceeded



  • Seemingly had a couple of crashes lately. Not sure why I'd have a watchdog timer initiate, or whatever that execution time is referring to.

    Crash report begins.  Anonymous machine information:
    
    amd64
    10.1-RELEASE-p24
    FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p24 #0 f27a67c(releng/10.1)-dirty: Wed Nov  4 16:18:37 CST 2015     root@pfs22-amd64-builder:/usr/obj.RELENG_2_2.amd64/usr/pfSensesrc/src.RELENG_2_2/sys/pfSense_SMP.10
    
    Crash report details:
    
    PHP Errors:
    [07-Dec-2015 17:07:23 Etc/UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 900 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/pkg/pfblockerng/pfblockerng.inc on line 1664
    
    

    and same thing on another unit:

    Crash report begins.  Anonymous machine information:
    
    amd64
    10.1-RELEASE-p24
    FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p24 #0 f27a67c(releng/10.1)-dirty: Wed Nov  4 16:18:37 CST 2015     root@pfs22-amd64-builder:/usr/obj.RELENG_2_2.amd64/usr/pfSensesrc/src.RELENG_2_2/sys/pfSense_SMP.10
    
    Crash report details:
    
    PHP Errors:
    [08-Dec-2015 16:02:42 Etc/UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 900 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/pkg/pfblockerng/pfblockerng.inc on line 1659
    
    

  • Moderator

    The 900 seconds is a cURL download/connection timeout… If you look at your pfblockerng.log / error.log, see if there were any download failures during those time frames…  I haven't figured out a way to suppress that alarm yet...


  • Moderator

    rcfa,

    Are you in the Update Tab - Live viewer at the time when those errors occurred?  Unfortunately, you could get this error and not notice until you goto the dashboard at which time you will get the error notice…  So to help debug, I really need to know what was occurring at the time of those errors?



  • Well, i wasn't in the update section, at least not that I was aware of.
    Let me clarify:
    When I update packages and I'm done, I always go to the dashboard to check if everything is OK.
    So no errors last time I updated a package.
    However with a 900s execution timeout, who knows how long it takes for some process to rack up 900s of CPU time (assuming that's what's measured). That being the case the crash could happen hours to days later.

    Last time I updated there was this issue with phpService not getting installed properly, so in the end I simply nuked to package. There should be a post of mine about that here, which would give an approximate estimate as to when I was logged in last. (Logged in through the phone right now, so looking up that post is rather clumsy an affair at the moment). Edit: that was end of November, so more than a week before these crash reports dated 7th and 8th of December. https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=103218.msg575537#msg575537

    For the lack of email notifications for available package updates, I simply log in to the units in irregular intervals to check if dashboard lists updates. This is how I discovered the error messages (and afterwards updated the latest round of packages)



  • @BBcan177:

    The 900 seconds is a cURL download/connection timeout… If you look at your pfblockerng.log / error.log, see if there were any download failures during those time frames…  I haven't figured out a way to suppress that alarm yet...

    If I go to the pfBlockerNG's log section and then select the error.log in the pop up, I simply get the message```
    Log file is empty or does not exist.

    If I go to the pfblockerng.log I get this as the last four lines:```
    **Saving configuration [ 11/28/15 3:11:04 ] ...
    
    **Saving configuration [ 11/28/15 19:23:56 ] ...
    
    **Saving configuration [ 12/11/15 17:53:00 ] ...
    
    **Saving configuration [ 12/11/15 17:56:29 ] ...
    

    I think neither is very helpful, unfortunately.



  • Got the crash report third time:

    PHP Errors:
    [13-Dec-2015 16:44:29 America/Toronto] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 900 seconds exceeded in /usr/local/pkg/pfblockerng/pfblockerng.inc on line 1665

    Checked pfblockerng.log and error.log,  nothing indicates during that time period.


  • Moderator

    I submitted a PR which I believe should fix this issue. I haven't seen this issue myself, so it's hard to replicate. Once the devs have approved, please update to version 2.0.3 and let me know if you see this issue again

    Thanks!


Log in to reply