Update 2.2.5 -> 2.2.6 through webgui manual upgrade fails to start



  • Since the last 4 years I've successfully updated  :) my pfsense box through the webgui (system -> firmware -> Manual update).

    But with update 2.2.6 this method fails to start: the browser uploads the file to 100%, waits, uploads again and then loses the connection with the page.

    Uploading the release through the webgui (diagnostics -> command promt -> upload) als fails, I see the 16M parts of the file, but never the complete release.

    placing the release file on the filesystem en using ssh to "upgrade from console" worked for me, so I've a working 2.2.6!

    It leave the question why did the webgui update fail?

    • Is it the size of the release? (2.2.6 breaks through the 100M size)
    • Can Lighttpd not handle a file of this size?

    The php settings "upload_max_filesize" and  "post_max_size" are on 200M, so that is not the problem.

    So I've worked around the problem, but could not solve it, maybe someone on this forum can!



  • @MFKroon:

    ….
    It leave the question why did the webgui update fail?

    • Is it the size of the release? (2.2.6 breaks through the 100M size)
    • Can Lighttpd not handle a file of this size?

    Well ….. in that case none of us could 'autoupgrade' because we are all using the same "Lighttpd" daemon running on pfSense  ;)

    A advise you to :
    Check disk free size.
    Disk 'smartdrv' issues.
    Execute a reboot before starting the upgrade.
    Packages installed , ditch them (temporarily).



  • @Gertjan:

    A advise you to :
    Check disk free size.
    Disk 'smartdrv' issues.
    Execute a reboot before starting the upgrade.
    Packages installed , ditch them (temporarily).

    There is enough space on the disk.
    There are no disk errors.
    Backup - reboot is performed before upgrade.
    As a test I did remove the packages installed, but same result on upload of release.

    The testing of the new release is done on my home box, but my production pc (complete different setup) gives the same problem.
    Therefore I thought it is a somehow more general problem and worth posting.



  • I am having the exact same issue as MFKroon.  I am using nanobsd 4GB VGA with a compact flash to USB adapter.  I've successfully ran the manual upgrade via GUI several times before (I believe I started at 2.2 and have done all subsequent upgrades via manual GUI.)

    I have NOT yet tried to SSH the upgrade file and run the option 13 from console to upgrade from console seeing as how if anyone needs me to show logs or try something I am willing to assist (I'll need to be guided a bit with commands and where to go as my freebsd knowledge is not very good.)

    EDIT: I guess I should mention I tried with both Chrome and IE11 (with a reboot of the pfsense before the 2nd attempt.)  Same behavior in both browsers.  I noticed in the NanoBSD section on the left hand side that the boot slice was still set to da0s1 which I am pretty sure after a successful upgrade it gets changed to da0s2 as I typically have to copy slice after a successful upgrade and then I always change bootup slice back to da0s1 after I do the copy once I deem the upgrade successful and all is working well.



  • @MFKroon:

    But with update 2.2.6 this method fails to start: the browser uploads the file to 100%, waits, uploads again and then loses the connection with the page.

    That's almost certainly another iteration of this problem in lighttpd.
    http://redmine.lighttpd.net/issues/2670

    which caused config sync failures for a few. It's possible some could hit that on manual firmware updates. That's confirmed fixed in the newer lighttpd in 2.2.6, so likely the next update will work for you there.



  • cmb, thanks!  yeah, I thought that may have been the culprit.  I went ahead and did the option 13 and auto to get the latest upgrade bits.  Seems to work great thus far.  Thanks for the confirmation.



  • @cmb:

    That's confirmed fixed in the newer lighttpd in 2.2.6, so likely the next update will work for you there.

    Thanks cmb, I can confirm that in the 2.2.6 release the upload of the release file through the webgui works fine!
    While the 2.2.5 release gives the reported problem.

    So we can put this issue on solved:

    • workaround on 2.2.5 through ssh - option 13.
    • solved in 2.2.6

Log in to reply