Wireless card not working on fullefficiency
i have noticed this and have been busy trying to figure out a solution.
I currently use the alix2c3 board and with dcma81 802.11 a/b/g miniPCI radio as the wifi card which has the following chipset Atheros AR5414 and an antenna which has 5 dBi nominal gain. what i saw was using the monowall, the wifi card worked on full efficiency, meaning, it could make use of the extended range technology in the card and i could access the internet right under my building, i live on the fourth floor.
But after shifting to pfsense, i noticed a drop in efficiency, now i cant even access it from 3rd floor even using the same hardware and same location of the firewall. Is it something to do with the drivers or what, i use it in g mode with 54mbps transfer rate, worked like a charm on monowall and almsot dead on pfsense.
i tried changing the settings to different modes etc but doesnt make much of a difference.
wifi card datasheet can be viewed here http://www.pcengines.ch/pdf/dcma81.pdf
search the forum, I seen something just like this here before. The other thing would be to try to sullrich's 6.3 verison. I running it now it's awesome and very stable. Seems to gotten my DELL SC440 to work with all interfaces perfectly.