Nuvoton NCT6106D Serial Ports: Freezing at Boot?

• Hey all,

I have an issue with my new Supermicro X10SLV-Q build.  It boots just fine with all the serial ports disabled, but if I enable a serial port (which I need to communicate with my UPS)  it refuses to boot.

Does anyone know anything about this?  Are there any workarounds?

Thanks,
    Matt

• Hello Matt,

perhaps the serial chip soldered on the board is not really supported by pfSense. And so you will be
    perhaps go and look for an usb > serial adapter that is coming with a supported chip.

• Frank,

Thanks for your reply.

Further troubleshooting suggests its some sort of Interrupt or addressing conflict.

If I disable COM1, and instead enable only COM2 the system boots as expected, and at least APPEARS to have a functioning comport (I haven't had a chance to test it yet)

It's a little bit odd.  With no addon hardware installed, on board components should by default be conflicting with each other.  I'm going to check for a BIOS update

• If I disable COM1, and instead enable only COM2 the system boots as expected, and at least APPEARS to have a functioning comport (I haven't had a chance to test it yet)

Odd perhaps but not really urgent, I would go then with the com2 Port to get rid of that issue and perhaps a
    usb to serial adapter brings back that second one as a replacement for that and you will be fine again.

It's a little bit odd.  With no addon hardware installed, on board components should by default be conflicting with each other.

Might be, was that a fresh and full install? Or is that NanaoBSD?

I'm going to check for a BIOS update

Would be the best in my eyes.