Adding card to existing server - ports renamed
We tried adding a new NIC to an existing server which has 4 port NIC installed already.
The new nic would give use 4 more ports.
The problem is that when the new NIC gets added it takes over the old port names and mucks up the config completely.
Is there anyway to avoid this happening?
Thanks for any help
No. The ordering is dependent on how the PCI bus presents the cards to the OS. It's easy to just reassign them with their new numbering.
As I'm a bit new to Freebsd is there an easy way to see the new numbering bar guessing?
If you have physical console access (whether via video out or serial), just do the following:
- Disconnect all the ports.
- Enter the Shell (Option 8)
- Connect a cable to 1 of the NIC ports and an active device (computer or switch port)
- Run the following command: ifconfig
- The interface that shows a carrier up is the assignment to that particular physical interface
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 for each physical interface