Interface up - Gateway down
I have a situation where my WAN interface gets an IP address but the gateway shows down.
Normally this is a fixed ip through MAC reservation and the interface shows the usual IP, when I spoof the mac address, my ISP gives me another IP address. So far it looks like everything is ok but the gateway is down with 100% loss.
- I have tried with a different monitor IP or disabling the monitoring but no activity on the line.
- I tested a laptop directly attached to the modem and this works fine, so no fault there.
The network configuration is more complex:
- modem is connected on a switch with an untagged port on a specific VLAN (exclude on the default VLAN).
- a trunk (HP) goes to the coreswitch, the trunk is tagged on that specific VLAN.
- on the coreswitch the trunk port and ports to the hosts are tagged on that specific VLAN.
- on the hosts a vswitch is configured with that specified VLAN on a network with a nic on that network connected to pfSense
The same configuration is used for a second internet line, the only difference is that it doesn't go over a trunk but over fiber and start from a different switch. This line doesn't have any problems.
Edit the gateway, set the payload to 1 and it'll probably work.
Thx for the reply but should have added I had this issue pre 2.3 already.
Payload didn't help in this case.
Sounds like you just can't ping out in that case, does Diag>Ping to your gateway and Internet destinations work?
WAN1 (working): 3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
WAN2 (not working): 3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss
That sounds like something upstream of your system is blocking all pings on that WAN.