I made a WireGuard package for pfSense

• Hey everyone.

I wanted to try out WireGuard on my new pfSense router, and in the process I decided to make a package for it. I've been running it on my router for about a week without any issues, so I figured I'd share. Please note that both WireGuard and this package are still very experimental. Use at your own risk.

Source and release is here: https://github.com/Ascrod/pfSense-pkg-wireguard Bug reports and PRs welcome.

This package depends on the wireguard and wireguard-go ports for FreeBSD. You will need to download the appropriate builds for your version of pfSense, or build them, and then manually install them before installing this package. I am using wireguard-0.0.20190227_3 and wireguard-go-0.0.20181222 in my current setup.

The package supports configuring one interface and any number of peers. Once you have them set up, go to the Assign Interfaces screen and create a new interface for tunwg0. Name it, enable it, and don't touch any other settings. Once the interface is up you can configure firewall rules for it and generally treat it the same as a physical interface. It should persist across reboots.

Screenshots:
    Interface Editor
    Peers
    Peer Editor
    Service Page
    Status Page

• Excellent contribution, I would like to try it, but I am not able to compile it in pfsense.

Could you share the package already compiled for pfsense v2.4.4-p3?

• @pepe00 The release on the GitHub page should already be targeting 2.4.4-p3, the current release.

• Sorry, I only found the source code and not the pfSense-pkg-wireguard-1.0.0.txz

I already have it installed, I will perform tests

• For my first test, I would like to connect my android mobile to my internal network.

I create the "WireGuard" interface group, but I don't know what rules I have to add to the pfsense, could you help me?

This is my configuration:
    My internal LAN: 192.168.1.0/24

In pfsense:

[Interface]
    Address = 10.23.5.1/24
    ListenPort = 51000
    PrivateKey = server_private_key
    PostUp = ifconfig tunwg0 group WireGuard

[Peer]
    PublicKey = movil_public_key
    AllowedIPs = 10.23.5.2/32

In android:

[Interface]
    PrivateKey = movil_private_key
    Address = 10.23.5.3/24
    DNS = 1.1.1.1

[Peer]
    PublicKey = server_public_key
    Endpoint = public_IP:51000
    AllowedIPs = 192.168.1.0/24

• @pepe00 My bad, I should have explained this more - I have updated my initial post to include some instructions. When I get time I will also add a README to the repository.

For a simple setup, you shouldn't need to create an interface group or configure a PostUp command. On the Interface Assignments page, create a new interface for tunwg0 and enable it. Don't touch any other interface settings. Once you have the interface set up, you can then forward the VPN's port (51000 in your case) to your interface's IP and assign firewall rules to it like any other interface. That should get you started.

Looking at the config you posted, I think the interface address on your Android client needs to be a single address, not a range (e.g. 10.23.5.3/32). Typically for mobile clients you also want to set AllowedIPs to 0.0.0.0/0,::/0 so that the interface can route all traffic over the tunnel. If you need more help configuring WireGuard itself, I can recommend this unofficial documentation, especially the examples.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks for your help!!!

I created the "WireGuard" group, because I thought that the assignment of tungw0 would not be persistent to reboots, but I just verified that it is wrong.

I have deleted the group and the PostUp rule.

I have added a peer for another site (LAN: 192.168.10.0/24) with pfsense:

[Peer]
    Endpoint = Public_IP_Site_B: 51000
    PublicKey = public_Site_B_key
    AllowedIPs = 10.23.5.254/24,192.168.10.0/24

Route tables were created automatically, and it worked without problems.

The VPN road warrior from the mobile, still not working, I will have to check my settings. I have already applied the changes you suggested.

• A very interesting functions would be:

1. The possibility of automatically creating the private and public key of the peers.
    2. The possibility of exporting the peers configuration file.

The WireGuard program for android, you can export and import a "wireguard-export.zip" with the wg0.conf inside.

Do you see it viable or very complicated to program?

• @pepe00 There are options for automatically generating a public/private key pair for the interface, and a PSK for a peer. Just click the respective checkboxes for those options and then click save. (I would like to make those into buttons that can work dynamically without saving, but I don't know if packages can make AJAX calls like that.) Note this will overwrite any keys or PSK already present.

I'm not sure about importing and exporting the config file yet. Currently to export you could use scp to copy the config file under /etc/wireguard/ to your system; I'm not sure if you can import this way, as the package config might overwrite it. You can also copy-paste text from the configuration UI or from the status page (which shows the same info as if you had run wg show tunwg0 from the command line).

• My idea is to add the possibility to export the client configuration file for a peer, to import it on the mobile device and configure it quickly, something similar to the "OpenVPN client export" plugin.

I have already seen that there are options to automatically generate a public / private key pair for the interface and a PSK for the peer.

What is missing is the option to automatically create a public / private key pair for the peer, with the intention of using that private key to generate the exportable configuration file.

In the case of a road warrior connection, it is as simple as generating a [peer_name].txt with:

[Interface]
    Address = IP_peer
    DNS = 1.1.1.1
    PrivateKey = private_key_for_peer (self-generated in peer configure)

[Peer]
    AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0, :: / 0
    Endpoint = Public_IP: UDP_port (request public_IP)
    PublicKey = public_key_server

I don't know if I have explained myself better now, sorry for my English.

• The VPN from my mobile already works!

In addition to opening the UDP port in WAN and allowing the necessary traffic in WIRE (tungw0), so that the mobile can go to the internet, it is necessary to create a manual outbound NAT witch source 10.23.5.0/24 rule in my case.

• Is this plugin compatible with the new 2.4.5 release?
    Has anyone done a performance comparison with ipsec and openvpn so far?

Anyway, thank you and keep up with the good work! 👍

• I would also love to know if anyone has tried this out on 2.5, I imagine there could potentially be an issue because of the kernel update? But I have no clue myself.

I just updated to 2.5 and was wondering if there was any update on wireguard working and of course only saw that someone had figured out a way to get it working after I updated.

I'm so glad that someone decided to try to make it work! Been waiting on wireguard integration for too long. Keep up the great work!