pfSense does not boot after successful installation

• Hello,

I do own a Fujitsu Futro S940 ThinClient that is supposed to be my next pfSense Firewall. It es equipped with a M.2 SATA SSD.

I already have a Futro S930 working with pfSense but I am not able to get the S940 to boot pfSense after Installation on the SSD.

The BIOS possibilities are limited but things like Secure BOOT is disabled and I can install e.g. Windows or Ubuntu on the S940 and it boots just fine of the M.2 SATA SSD even with ZFS in Ubuntu.

I can boot the pfSense installation of an USB stick and install pfSense without problems on the SSD. But the drive is then on restart not recognized as a bootable device.

I tried all sorts of installation methods (MBR, GPT with BIOS + EFI in all variations), UFS and ZFS

There are in my opinion problems with the FreeBSD partitions. Is there a way to fix this?
    I do not find anything helpful in the Netgate documentation.

As far as I can say the S940 needs UEFI and generally recognizes GPT partitions but not the ones installed with FreeBSD (pfSense)
    I also tried to install plain FreeBSD 12.1 but there is exactly the same problem.

In short I can install and boot all sorts of Distributions but not FreeBSD (pfSense)

Help is highly appreciated 😃

• @ramup

Hi,

It's a little bit bound thin client...
    Are you trying to update to the latest BIOS?
    This may be a unit compiled by Unicon Software?

• @DaddyGo said in pfSense does not boot after successful installation:

Hi,
    It's a little bit bound thin client...
    Are you trying to update to the latest BIOS?
    This may be a unit compiled by Unicon Software?

Thanks. Yes it is on the latest BIOS of January 2020 directly of the Fujitsu Homepage and no it is not compiled with Unicon Software. I believe in this case it would not be possible to boot Ubuntu or Windows like it does but not FreeBSD

Can someone tell me the display scheme of a guided GPT UEFI ZFS installation with „gparted show“?
    I see EFI, freebsd-swap and freebsd-zfs but no freebsd-boot in my case.

• @ramup

Okay thanks, because we also have 3 pcs. used Unicon units and the same problem with them.
    I will follow this thread, maybe someone has already encountered this question.

Thanks again.

• Ok, I found out that the partition "freebsd-boot" will only be created when GPT is set to UEFI+BIOS and not only GPT with EFI.
    Because the S940 TC is UEFI the partition is not necessary.

I think the problem is the bootloader with FreeBSD that I cannot fix so far. I tried all sorts of modifications but none of them worked.
    Has anyone a solution how to fix the bootloader?