How Multi-WAN failover work ?

• Hello,

Because I have to do the same thing under openBSD (I can't use pfsense for this project), I want to know how multi-wan failover is made on pfsense.
    Did somebody can give me the solution or a clue ?

regards

ps : sorry for my english, I'm french !

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

There are many tutorials on the doc wiki and forum for that. Some searching should have turned up several good results.

Here is the main guide for 2.0:
    http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Multi-WAN_2.0

• Jimp, I don't think you take the time to read my post !

I do lot of searchs on the wiki and the forum and already know how to do this with pfsense, and I use it for some projects.

My question is about how Multi-WAN failover is done by pfsense on the underlying FreeBSD to be able to do the same thing on OpenBSD.

It's the reason why I have but my question on the development board, I want to know how they have coded that. I don't think that the usual pfsense user know how this is made !
    You move my topic in a board where nobody could answer it.  :-[

• It uses a userland daemon that monitors the links and then regenerates the rules configured on events.

Though it will take time for you to regenerate that :) i can say for sure.
    pfSense also is an integrated system from which you cannot, easily, extract this kind of bits.

• thank's a lot for this constructive reply.

I already search for a simple way to do this and don't find it. I hoped that you find a easy trick to do the job but you made it the hard (and the bettest) way !

It seem that it is effectively too hard and too long to port and I will have to use a simplest and less elegant way to do it.