DNS Lookups going to Google DNS even though I have OpenDNS configured?

• I have put OpenDNS servers as my DNS servers as you can see below:

However I'm still seeing DNS requests coming from my server (unRAID running Plex and various other Dockers) going to Google DNS.

I'm assuming I somewhere in the past configured 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as my DNS servers but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  The only place I see that 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 were configured is on my wireless AP that I used to use as my home router (DD-WRT) and now just acts as an AP but my server is not connected to that AP anyway.

Could it be cached DNS?

• LAYER 8 Netgate

What are you giving to your clients via DHCP?  What are the DNS servers configured on client 192.168.4.208?

• @Derelict:

What are you giving to your clients via DHCP?  What are the DNS servers configured on client 192.168.4.208?

I have no DNS configured in DHCP so it should be using the default.  The static DNS server on 192.168.4.208 is 192.168.4.1 (LAN IP/gateway of pfSense) but I've also tried putting in the OpenDNS server IPs there as well to no avail.

• Is it possible that there is an application running on .208 that is doing the resolving for whatever reason, like a DNS benchmark for instance?

• LAYER 8 Netgate

Dude.  Those logs say 192.168.4.208 is making requests to google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. and they are being blocked by the rules on the LAN interface.

• @KOM:

Is it possible that there is an application running on .208 that is doing the resolving for whatever reason, like a DNS benchmark for instance?

Nope, I have nothing that would do any resolving running on .208.  It's a linux storage box that just has a few Dockers running (like Plex and a few others but nothing that has any DNS configured).

@Derelict:

Dude.  Those logs say 192.168.4.208 is making requests to google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. and they are being blocked by the rules on the LAN interface.

That's correct, I purposely am blocking them.  The question is why are they making requests to Google?

• LAYER 8 Netgate

That is a great question for the makers of that box.  it has nothing to do with pfSense.

• @Derelict:

That is a great question for the makers of that box.  it has nothing to do with pfSense.

I wasn't blaming pfsense I was just looking for some insight from others running pfsense.  Being that I'm pretty new to pfsense I wasn't sure if I misconfigured something on it.  But I'll look more closely at my server now.

• LAYER 8 Netgate

dig/drill are your friends

On 192.168.4.208:

You can selectively do DNS queries to various servers:

dig @8.8.8.8 www.google.com
    dig @192.168.4.1 www.google.com

• It could also be something as simple as someone running nslookup from the command line and then specifying the Google DNS.

• @KOM:

It could also be something as simple as someone running nslookup from the command line and then specifying the Google DNS.

I would but it's a linux box.  And the dig/drill commands don't appear to be present.

It looks like it's an issue with one of my dockers though so I'm looking into that.

• I would but it's a linux box.

cough

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

"I would but it's a linux box.  And the dig/drill commands don't appear to be present."

Well then install them..  What linux distro are you using that nslookup is not installed?

Last login: Wed Jul  8 12:02:03 2015 from 10.0.8.6
    user@ubuntu:~$ nslookup

• @johnpoz:

"I would but it's a linux box.  And the dig/drill commands don't appear to be present."

Well then install them..  What linux distro are you using that nslookup is not installed?

Last login: Wed Jul  8 12:02:03 2015 from 10.0.8.6
    user@ubuntu:~$ nslookup

It's an unRAID server which is built off Slackware.  But I've determined it's definitely an issue with a particular Docker.  I see the nameserver's listed as the Google DNS servers in the Docker's log so it's not even really a Linux issue.

• But I've determined it's definitely an issue with a particular Docker.

For me, playing detective is the funnest part of the job.