Dashboard update check (verion check).

  • The check for package updates is done every time I visit the dashboard page.  I have checked the settings on the updates page,  and  <disable auto="" dashboard="" update="" check="">  is selected.

    I'm not sure where to look to find out if this has already been logged.


  • Disabling the updates check works fine for me on the latest 2.4 (and I don't think that stuff has been touched in the last few weeks).

    Get a copy of your config, does it have a section like:


    The code in https://github.com/pfsense/pfsense/blob/master/src/usr/local/www/widgets/widgets/system_information.widget.php#L495 is bypassed when disablecheck is set.

    So what is special/interesting about your system?

  • Hi,

    I loaded a snapshot to a USB drive sometime last March, got it partially set up and then left it unused on the drive.  I am unsure what the version was.

    Today I connected the drive and did some further setup, then did an update - which went very well,  impressive.

    I then turned off the dasboard update check on the update settings page.

    Now, when I  ask for the dasboard page I get:-
    2.4.0-BETA (amd64)
    built on Sat Jul 01 21:47:06 CDT 2017
    FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p10

    Obtaining update status

    and after a few seconds I get:-
    2.4.0-BETA (amd64)
    built on Sat Jul 01 21:47:06 CDT 2017
    FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p10

    The system is on the latest version.

    The system causes the activity light to flash on the modem (WAN connection) at this point, I'm sure it's doing the check.

    I'm not sure what config file I should check, however I have done a config backup which creates the config-pfSense . ….  backup file and there is no firmware section within it so far as I can tell.    Is this the place to check, or should I be looking at a file in the PFS system  ?


    I wondered if the setting was not "sticky" so I've done a reboot and found the dashboard update check was not set to "stop".

    I reset the setting to stop the update checks.

    The update checking stopped.

    After a couple of reboots the checking remains stopped so the setting "sticks".

    I've now taken another settings backup and checked for the firmware tag, this now exists and looks like the example in your reply.

    So, the problem has gone,  I can only think that the reboots were perhaps needed, I'm fairly sure that the problem DID exist.

    Many thanks for your help



  • Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

    Package updates != OS Updates. You disabled the OS Update check.

    Remove the packages widget.

Log in to reply