SG-1100 Mini PCIe slot - purpose?

• I have ordered an SG-1100, and noted on the Netgate product page that it has "1x Mini PCIe slot" with an additional note saying it 'does not support mSATA or LTE cards'. So what is the purpose of the slot? Does it have any practical use for a standard owener?

• There's probably no support for any kind of mini-PCIe device in the ARM version of pfSense.

• Netgate Administrator

That's true, currently there is no PCI support in the SG-1100 image.

Potentially it could be added and used with a wifi device for example. There is no ETA I'm aware of though.

The slot itself is wired for PCIe only so cannot be used for mSATA or LTE (which connect via USB).

Steve

• Banned

@stephenw10 said in SG-1100 Mini PCIe slot - purpose?:

The slot itself is wired for PCIe only so cannot be used for mSATA or LTE (which connect via USB).

Did you order a custom design or can the "Wire jumper" still switch USB to the mini PCIe slot?

wire jumper.jpg

• Netgate Administrator

Ooo good point, the jumpers do still exist. Looking back at my notes I had no hardware to test it.

However there is no SIM slot wired to it which most (all?) modem cards would require. I guess you might be able to use one of those adapter cards with SIM slot in it....

Steve

• Resuming this thread exactly 1 year old: is it possible to point me where is located the wire jumper in the board? I do really need LTE connection as mini PCIe, and I only miss the USB interface on the Mini PCIe.

Giorgio

• Netgate Administrator

Hmm, I'd have to look into it again but I don't believe you can as I said a year ago.
    However there is now some support for the PCI bus in 2.4.5. Actual card support may vary but you might find wifi cards now work there.

Steve

• Netgate Administrator

With the WLE200NX for example:

[2.4.5-RELEASE][root@1100-3.stevew.lan]/root: pciconf -lv
    ath0@pci0:0:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x3099168c chip=0x002a168c rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
        vendor     = 'Qualcomm Atheros'
        device     = 'AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)'
        class      = network

• Thanks Steve!
    This is a very good news!

However, the usb interface is not wired to the pci. I see many wire jumpers on the board, are you aware of any circuit board schematic I can looking into?

• Netgate Administrator

The USB jumpers (J16 and J19) are there so you should be able to switch the connections from the external port to the mPCIe slot. However I cannot find the modem I know I have to test it with right now. I've installed in something but can't for the life of me remember what. 🙄
    I should point out that while I would expect any issues doing this it would be an untested/unsupported setup. There are no antenna holes so you would need to get creative. 😉

Steve

• @stephenw10 Thanks so much, I'll try this week and let you know!

• Netgate Administrator

Found my modem! It works:

[2.4.5-RELEASE][root@1100-3.stevew.lan]/root: usbconfig
    ugen0.1: <Marvell XHCI root HUB> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
    ugen1.1: <Marvell EHCI root HUB> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
    ugen1.2: <Sierra Wireless, Incorporated Mini Card> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (0mA)

ugen1.2: <Sierra Wireless, Incorporated Mini Card> at usbus1
    u3g0 on uhub1
    u3g0: <Data Interface> on usbus1
    u3g0: Found 3 ports.

[2.4.5-RELEASE][root@1100-3.stevew.lan]/dev: cu -l cuaU0.0
    Connected
    at
    OK
    ati
    Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Inc.
    Model: MC8775
    Revision: H1_1_9_3MCAP C:/WS/FW/H1_1_9_3MCAP/MSM6280/SRC 2007/12/12 11:49:21
    IMEI: 013265502503099
    IMEI SV: 10
    FSN: D611748126531
    3GPP Release 5
    +GCAP: +CGSM,+FCLASS,+DS

OK

Just move the two jumpers near the USB port (J16+J19) to their alternate positions.

Steve

• Netgate Administrator

Of course I've just realised there's no SIM slot. So you would need one of those SIM card adapters.

Edit: Memory not good then! https://forum.netgate.com/post/833230 🙄

Steve