Pfsense high cpu usage KVM (Unraid)
Maybe i should just try to reïnstall it. Shouldn't be that hard to do. Ill post more after some more testing.
A reïnstall made no change, the cpu usage went up on 1 of the cores. during this test i even gave it 8 Cpu core's (4.0ghz) and 4GB of RAM. Download speed was 150mbit. So i have no clue what the option is other than the virtual nic or something...
Sadly i dont have any other nics available to test with. Any suggestions on a step i might try out?
With vmx NICs you will need to add the following line to /boot/loader.conf.local to get multiple queue support:
Reboot to apply that. Check the output of
vmstat -ito be sure it's creating multiple queues.
Be sure all hardware offloading support is disabled in Sys > Adv > Networking.
Hi, Thanks for your reply,
I tried to find the /boot/loader.conf.local file but could only find a /boot/loader.conf
I tried adding it into there ( hw.pci.honor_msi_blacklist=0 ) but still no change.
It has done something because it moved up in the file.
During speedtest i get these results with vmstat -i:
And when using the top -S -H command still get the same results.
Any other suggestions?
you need to create the file
if it's missing
save and reboot
Yup create the file if it doesn't exist. If you put it in loader.conf it may get overwritten.
However that will only do anything for vmx NICs. You have em NICs there currently.
@stephenw10 Allright, will set them to VMXNET3, reboot, create the file with the line and inform if there are any changes.
Creating config file:
Okay so further testing will come in later but for now i seem to reach my maximum provider speed on my linux server behind the firewall:
BUT it did drop back down to 14.4Megabyte's per second and go up and down all the time:
Cpu usage seems to have set a bit:
Using SMB protocol i get this from moving a file WAN to LAN:
It's 2 virtual cores are running at nearly full power (cpu 6/7) (cpu 4 is being used on the server side in the LAN network.):
I don't know if this is just a performance bug but speeds seem to have increased, altough cpu usage is still high (compared to the hardware specifications of pfsense)
Changing to a quad core (virtual processor) did not change much either, cpu usage stays high on 2 cores:
Wish i could put my finger on the issue.
I still only see one tx queue and one rx queue on each NIC. Does
vmstat -ishow more?
I assume you created that file in /boot
yep its placed under /boot/loader.conf.local
vmstat -i during speedtest on server in lan side:
I actually don't know how to read the vmstat -i, but i hope you might know more @stephenw10
vmx0: tq0 (transmission queue 0)
vmx0: rq0 (receive queue 0)
with multiple queue you should see tq0 / tq1 etc etc
Yeah, that. Though I don't have anything vmx to test again right now.
I think it probably is working as you are seeing the high numbered IRQs which MSI uses.
Try removing that line or commenting it out and rebooting. Do you see any change?
On other NICs you might see something like:
[2.4.4-RELEASE][email@example.com]/root: vmstat -i interrupt total rate irq7: uart0 432 0 irq16: sdhci_pci0 536 0 cpu0:timer 68688188 1001 cpu3:timer 1069435 16 cpu2:timer 1060293 15 cpu1:timer 1086989 16 irq264: igb0:que 0 68630 1 irq265: igb0:que 1 68630 1 irq266: igb0:que 2 68630 1 irq267: igb0:que 3 68630 1 irq268: igb0:link 3 0 irq269: igb1:que 0 68630 1 irq270: igb1:que 1 68630 1 irq271: igb1:que 2 68630 1 irq272: igb1:que 3 68630 1 irq273: igb1:link 1 0 irq274: ahci0:ch0 4473 0 irq290: xhci0 85 0 irq291: ix0:q0 216643 3 irq292: ix0:q1 47933 1 irq293: ix0:q2 325480 5 irq294: ix0:q3 514752 7 irq295: ix0:link 2 0 irq301: ix2:q0 74629 1 irq302: ix2:q1 507 0 irq303: ix2:q2 1703 0 irq304: ix2:q3 89446 1 irq305: ix2:link 1 0 irq306: ix3:q0 70295 1 irq307: ix3:q1 4985 0 irq308: ix3:q2 186433 3 irq309: ix3:q3 413486 6 irq310: ix3:link 1 0 Total 74405771 1084
try to add this on your loader.conf.local
I added the rule with
I did not see any change whatsoever in vmstat -i:
and commenting out the first rule also did not change anything:
Even when doing a download on a server in LAN and using top -S -H i have this outcome:
You are seeing load on all CPUs there and none is at 100% so it's not CPU limited at that point.
@stephenw10 i have increased it before to 4 cores running at 4ghz. Right now i dont know what to do at all:( i really like the easy way of working with pfsense but i dont know what further investigation i can do because the cpu usage is skyrocket high with 250mbit/s
Yes, there is something significantly wring with your virtualisation setup there. You can pass 250Mbps with a something ancient and slow like a 1st gen APU at 1GHz.
@stephenw10 Poor me then, i will see if i will try some other things with this setup
kiokoman last edited by kiokoman
to me the problem should be investigated on the vm side more than from inside pfsense. i see on google that people tend to bridge the interface instead off using the passthrough for unraid.
personally, for example, i was never able to make pfSense work reliable under virtualbox and i had to change the vm to qemu/kvm