[SOLVED ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€] Slow connections through pfSense



  • Hi, I've been using pfSense for many years; up until recently, on an Intel D2500CCE system. I just recently upgraded my cable internet connection to gigabit, and also upgraded my router to an i3-7100 with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD.

    For some reason, when I do the speed test from my computer directly to the modem, I get the ~940mbps expected. However, when doing the speed test through the pfSense router, I'm only getting 90-95mbps. Thoughts on why I'd be getting this? Both my PC and pfSense claim they're connected at 1000mbps (so I know the connection between them didn't somehow get negotiated or throttled down to 100mbps)... so I'm a bit frustrated and confused.



  • @Doktor-Jones said in Slow connections through pfSense:

    Both my PC and pfSense

    Is here a switch between these two ?

    And what about a speedtest from pfSense ?

    MTU issues ?
    Hardware offloading ?


  • Netgate Administrator

    Sure seems like something linked at 100Mb. Yeah a test from the firewall itself will show you which side it limiting.

    A i3-7100 will be barely noticing 100Mbps.

    Steve



  • I feel really, really dumb.

    Apparently I'd set up a limiter once upon a time, and while it was initially attached to something specific, I guess at some point when I was "cleaning up" it got detached and just became a floating rule. I disabled all my limiters and bam, computer tested at 933mbps ๐Ÿ˜›


  • Netgate Administrator

    Ha, that's very easy to do especially on firewalls used for any sort of testing. I've done exactly that to myself more times than I care to admit. ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Steve



  • Yeah what confused me the most is that router->internet was testing at 750mbps+ with speedtest-cli, and desktop to router (through the same switch I'm normally connected through) was testing at 400+mbps (when downloading a dummy 1GB zip file I put in the web dir on the router... and it probably could have ramped up faster if it hadn't yanked the entire file in ~20 seconds).

    That's what got me looking at the router configuration itself, because obviously the router->internet connection was fine, and the PC->router connection was fine -- so it had to be something on the router itself that was bottlenecking things.