How's my hardware selection?

• Hey guys, I'm picking out my wishlist parts to build a pfSense router. I just want your opinion or suggestions on the build.

Must:
    Be able to do 1Gbps throughput WAN/LAN
    ECC RAM
    Low profile
    Not too expensive

I believe I achieved that. :)

I thinked I picked out a decent "server grade" motherboard and it has 2 Intel NIC's.

The only thing I question is the power supply setup, I'm not feeling picoPSU and it's reliability or if it'll be enough power. But looking at the case I don't think I'll have room for any other type of PSU.

What do you think, find a different case and PSU?

https://amzn.com/w/20J8WNW4KLZ7H

• Case is fine
    PSU? - the pico is fine, but the power brick is a problem - you don't need something with that high a wattage.

• @GTAXL:

Must:
    Low profile

Are you looking for a real low profile motherboard where the I/O is only one row high and the memory is placed sideways on it? Just checking because this ASRock motherboard is a lot higher than real low profile motherboards. This isn't a problem for most cases (like the M350 you choose) though so you will be fine.

And I don't know if you choose the ASRock on purpose, but I probably would take one of the SuperMicro equivalents since I like their IPMI and service more. The downside being that a lot of the SM mobo's don't have full sized DIMM slots so spare ram doesn't fit most of the time (in my case).

Furthermore I would swap the 192 watt adapter for something a bit less overkill. You are correct about the picoPSU: a normal PSU won't fit in that case.

And finally in context of your 'not too expensive': you choose a Core i3, do you really need it for your use case? I do some crazy stuff with pfSense but a modern Celeron (like the G1820 or G3900) or even a Avoton/Rangeley C255X are more than enough for me. A Celeron or Pentium would be more cost efficient in combination with this motherboard.

• @Keljian:

Case is fine
    PSU? - the pico is fine, but the power brick is a problem - you don't need something with that high a wattage.

You don't think, cuz the Pico PSU is rated for 160 watts and the other power bricks are only rated at 120W or like 144W.. and that throws a red flag to me… especially since I have an i3 in here with a 7.2k laptop hdd. You may ask why I picked a hard drive and not an SSD, well, they're cheap, I want the storage for logs, I don't like having to worry about read/writes effecting the life, and an HGST made in Thailand/Singapore/Japan will last a decade at least, I avoid the China crap and other poor per capita countries.

• Be able to do 1Gbps throughput WAN/LAN

Intel G3260T or a refurbished (used) Intel Xeon E3-12xxv3

ECC RAM

A mid ranged Intel Core i3 that supports ECC RAM or the E3-12xxv3

Low profile

Is able to realize but often then together with a spinning HDD not really fan less running.

Not too expensive

To know the real budget is the best for us to give you a dedicated tip that rocks.
    ASUS Q87T & G3260T without ECC