Connect from work to home with ssh tunnel ?

• Hi,
    I have a work PC with linux, ubuntu 17.10.
    At home i have pfsense firewall with dhcp etc.

I want to be able to connect the PC at work with a ssh tunnel? to the pfsense firewall at home - so that I can sit at work, surfing, without the management sniffing around my data-packets.
    The only connection they will see is that I'm connected to home IP. (like I was working from home)

How do setup this ?

• Found these..

Youtube Video

• LAYER 8 Global Moderator

So you want us to help you circumvent your works policies… Yeah good luck with that.. Just want I love to help people do -- less work ;)

And like I would follow some youtube link from such a question.. For all I know could be 2 cats going at it in an alley.

Hint -- run the openvpn wizard.. Run the openvpn client at work..

• LAYER 8 Netgate

OpenVPN, as stated.

Perhaps you should ask your IT department at work for advice?

• Normally, these guys
    @Derelict:

… IT department at work ...

get paid by these guys
    @kilko:

…at work, surfing, without the management sniffing around my data-packets.

so consider twice before asking.

Although, doing so, will remove the need to connect to your home because you'll be at home all the time.

Go VPN, use a port like 443 and you might pull it off.

Be careful : this could be considered as a security breach - people might get upset.

• Please do not get this wrong. This is not about doing less work. :-)

Its about connecting my PC at work to home, (home is far away, and not a 5 minut drive ;)) and getting data from home to work without "interference". Like HR/personal-stuff or classified material.

I want is not to compromise anything - I do not want company network and my home office network to be connected together. I just want to connect from office -> home, so its like i'm
    on my network at home.

Thanks for giving me the openvpn suggestion.

• Rebel Alliance Developer Netgate

Sounds like a good way to get fired. Or worse than that if "classified" material is involved, assuming you meant government "classified", and not company secrets/work product, which could still be a crime depending on the circumstances.

Locking thread. If you want to evade your company policies, you are on your own.